Why become a member? ×

After a new 5 string, any recommendations?

Sarah5string

I'm looking to buy another 5 string. Currently I'm leaning towards the Ibanez BTB 305fm but have yet to go properly guitar shopping and play a few, so just looking for a few recommendations. :)
What I'm after,
5 string
Fretted
Preferably Active or at least active preamp
I pick, never slap or pop. Occasional fingerstyle.
I play rock/metal.
I like a warm, soft and mellow tone and have a dislike of treble. lol
Something that looks cool and original but not OTT
I don't like P-basses or Jazz basses.
Budget £300-£350 max.

Fanks :huh:

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='345075' date='Dec 4 2008, 08:55 AM']I'm looking to buy another 5 string. Currently I'm leaning towards the Ibanez BTB 305fm but have yet to go properly guitar shopping and play a few, so just looking for a few recommendations. :)
What I'm after,
5 string
Fretted
I play rock/metal.
I don't like P-basses or Jazz basses.

Fanks :huh:[/quote]
So what's your budget?

Personally I would go for one of [url="http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/3/7/268537.jpg"]these[/url] but you might also consider a second hand Sub V.

That said I don't understand Metal or pointy things so I might be way off what you're looking for.

Edit: I just saw that you don't like P's or Jazzes, I'm sorry it's just not going to work between us:P

Edited by waynepunkdude

You should be able to get an Ibanez SR505 in that price range. They're not [i]metal[/i] in a BC Rich kind of way, but their sleek curves and playability definitely lend themselves to the heavier side of things. They also have a pretty warm and mellow tone, with a decent range of sounds.

I'd also suggest trying a Yamaha RBX375 - again, not too over the top in looks, but still pretty rock. A bit more of a growl, soundwise, but still pretty versatile.

And to save you a load of money.....

I'm thinking of selling my Cort C5 which I think is an Ibanez style clone.

Mighty Mite soapbar pups, active, and tight string spacing (that's the headstock in my Avatar).

Not sure what to ask for it though, I paid about £300 new around 5 years ago, I don't think I'd get that for it now though.

Edited by Huge Hands

+1 for the Ibanez SR 505, bought one 2 months ago and I love it to death. Its true, the string spacing is 16.5mm instead of the standard 4stringer 19mm, but to me thats actually a plus, less effort to pluck the strings and you said you never slap, so no handicaps there then. The 16.5mm string spacing is also very comfortable if you have relatively small hands/fingers.

+1 also for what Hamster said, a 4 string bass (such as an Ibby SR 500) restrung B E A D will be cheaper, lighter, easier to play, more comfortable and with less neck dive. Are you gonna miss that weak G string to play metal? I wouldnt TBH.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='345075' date='Dec 4 2008, 08:55 AM']I'm looking to buy another 5 string. Currently I'm leaning towards the Ibanez BTB 305fm but have yet to go properly guitar shopping and play a few, so just looking for a few recommendations. :)
What I'm after,
5 string, Fretted
I play rock/metal.
I don't like P-basses or Jazz basses. Budget £300-£350 max.

Fanks :huh:[/quote]

Just speaking for the Ibanez's 'cos I've drooling over them myself.
The BTB 305 looks like it ticks all the boxes: Mahogany body, 35" scale and good "eq" that gives a positive bass lift, not a bass-middle hump. Squarish section body contours. Fairdealmusic in Birmingham appear to be selling them for £269!
The SR505 looks gorgeous, but perhaps with a little less edge (visually) than you'd like. I think the eq system is the same as the BTB 305. 34" scale. Rounded body contours.

Check out the info on the Ibanez web-site for facts, figurtes and sizes, but select US for language. The UK language site doesn't show you the "eq" graphs.
Try them in your hands before you buy. Enjoy the search.
Balcro.

Here's the link to for sale thread for the TRB [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26746&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26746&hl=[/url] . Think it is still available and the seller is a nice guy to deal with.

Edited by P-T-P