Why become a member? ×

Am i finally out of touch? ..are you?

Barking Spiders

On 03/01/2019 at 10:09, FinnDave said:

Not quite - my dad was into Glenn Miller and Sibelius. I do enjoy a bit of Sibelius, but am never in the mood for Glenn Miller.

Hah ! good one,  my dad played sax in a dance band, there was an awful lot of Glenn  Miller in our house,   and " Autumn Leaves ",   whoever  recorded that originally,  I like playing that one though in a more jazzy style to my dad's rendition.

Well, Blue, if it helps, I agree with your agreeing with me - for some of us, the music that was around at a certain stage of our lives continues to resonate with us - maybe we just haven't done any of that 'growing up' stuff.

I'm neither proud nor apologetic about that fact that I like what I like. My musical tastes have never been 'mainstream' - I listen to stuff I enjoy listening to, and I am stuck in the past. It's not a crime. I play in a band which recreates the music and atmosphere of the past, and so know many people who suffer from the same illness as I do. Its not really nostalgia, for some if us, the music and ideals of the 60s and 70s has never gone away, it's just that the focus of the mainstream has moved on, as it has, driven as it is by commercial interests which demand there is always something 'new' and 'improved' to spend our money on. I'm afraid that I I simply don't subscribe to that view.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

I'll be 67 on Sunday and I disagree.

We all have our opinions and positions. That's fine. However I'll even advance my position by stating;

There aren't even any mechanisms in place today to develop the calber of artists and talent we had in the early 70s.

Blue

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Well, Blue, if it helps, I agree with your agreeing with me - for some of us, the music that was around at a certain stage of our lives continues to resonate with us - maybe we just haven't done any of that 'growing up' stuff.

I'm neither proud nor apologetic about that fact that I like what I like. My musical tastes have never been 'mainstream' - I listen to stuff I enjoy listening to, and I am stuck in the past. It's not a crime. I play in a band which recreates the music and atmosphere of the past, and so know many people who suffer from the same illness as I do. Its not really nostalgia, for some if us, the music and ideals of the 60s and 70s has never gone away, it's just that the focus of the mainstream has moved on, as it has, driven as it is by commercial interests which demand there is always something 'new' and 'improved' to spend our money on. I'm afraid that I I simply don't subscribe to that view.

Recreating the past, I like that Dave.

I was concerned about our New Year's Eve Show. However, when I saw all those grey haired couples over 60 entering the room, I said " this is going to be cool" and it was. 

Dave, it's not going to last. We should enjoy every single gig we play from here on out.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, it's not going to last. We should enjoy every single gig we play from here on out.

Blue

Too true, we're the last of the old guard, when our generation passes, the music will pass with us. Everything changes, that's the nature of life.

• Like 1

Just now, FinnDave said:

It shouldn't be sad, it is only natural. Each generation finds its own style and heroes.

i know this is the way things go but i do love my music and sorry but i dont want it 2 just get lost in time. but things move on i guess

I watched an Xmas special Top of the pops and the George Ezra Shotgun thingy was the only name and song I recognised.

It's not helping immersing myself in stuff like Take the A train, Blue bossa, Autumn leaves and Have you met Miss Jones etc since I got the upright. I can see our function band swapping me for a younger model.

56 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Recreating the past, I like that Dave.

I was concerned about our New Year's Eve Show. However, when I saw all those grey haired couples over 60 entering the room, I said " this is going to be cool" and it was. 

Blue

I like to think of it not as recreating the past but rather being a continuation of that which we knew and loved.

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:32, tauzero said:

No-one recognises Ariana Grande's name? I wouldn't know her music but surely a suicide bomber at one of her gigs makes her just a teeny bit memorable?

I seem to remember some wag said at the time that he also felt like blowing himself up when her heard her sing...

Personally, I think the idea of 'being in touch' is over-rated.. And also a bit erroneous. 

For example, does someone who listens to Bach, Mozart and Monteverdi get accused of being out of touch on a classical music forum and told they should be listening to Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Aaron Copland instead? 

I doubt it. 

The fact that we have a wealth of amazing music to draw on from the last 500+ years or so (in the Western world that is) to listen to, inspire us, make us feel happy, feel sad or feel like dancing or playing the bass etc, etc, is a gift we should be ever grateful for IMO. 

I love the music I grew up with in the 70s and early 80s, but I've found other brilliant stuff too - from the 90s, 2000s and 2010s as well. But equally, I've discovered loads of other music made way before I was born that's blown me away.. 

So it's all good really. 

However, just to be a little bit contentious, I do kind of agree with Blue  that - in so far as the rock music idiom is concerned - the best music of that genre was made in the so called golden age of rock music that spanned the 60s and 70s decades. 

But its only important to old farts like me when I want to wind up my son's generation of dubious dubsteppers and techno, R&B, rap, Grime headz! 😄😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

...they should be listening to Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Aaron Copland instead? ...

Oh, but Copland is soooooo old-hat, deary..! You must listen to Alma Deutcher and Emily Bear; they are soooooo 'today'..! -_-

• Haha 1