Why become a member? ×

Ampeg or Orange?

anzoid

I've just acquired a couple of Ampeg SVT210AV cabs (pictures to follow, etc.) - running from the TC Electronic head in in my BG250-208 they sound pretty immense. I'm thinking I'd like to try out a new(ish) amp and the current options (both of which I can get for around £250) are an Ampeg PF-350 or and Orange Bass Terror (2nd-hand).

From the little I've been able to find out about the PF-350 it's works quite nicely with a pair of SVT210AVs and sounds pretty good.

For the OBT - apart from Happy Jack's re-valving thread from 2011 I've not seen a huge amount about these amps. Is there anything I should be wary of when buying (sight unseen, but from a shop) 2nd-hand?

Any recommendations in the £250 bracket?

I wouldn't buy sight unseen. It can be a short cut to dissatisfaction and spending more in the long run (have a look in the market place at the amount of good quality kit people are trying to move on. Nothing wrong with any of it, but I'd bet many bought it on recommendation and found it didn't suit them). I know. I've been there. I finally saw the light and spent half a day in a well stocked shop trying things and bought something I liked (and which I feel no desire to change). You really need to try things out. What anyone else likes won't necessarily work for you. This is especially true of the price bracket you're looking in (which dictates buying used).

Edited by Dan Dare

hiho,I have used a terror for almost 6 years now with no problems they are great heads.I can only comment on Orange cabs which I use they sound great with plenty oooomph.The cabs are OBC115 and SP212 the isobaric one.I use one or the other depending on venue,practicing.I have used both cabs together a few times and the sound is huge.

Some early heads had hot DI but that was remedied which is the one I have ,the DI works a treat.Remember that flat EQ isn,t everything at noon it,s bass 9oclock,the rest at noon which makes a difference there is a lot of bass on tap.Here,s a video of terror head and SP212 cab.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only just seen this post so a bit late to reply but I've owned first the PF350 and then a Terror Bass.

The Ampeg was a good little amp but often  I was turning it up too far and the limiter/clipping light was coming on quite a lot. I was playing in a normal function band at the time and with two 12" cabs it was struggling at times and I was worried I would damage it. The s/h Terror Bass was the opposite absolutely masses of volume and barely ticking over at most times. Depends how loud you play I suppose.

I had an Orange Terror paired - very briefly - with a 210AV cab and it sounded really nice. My only reservation would be make sure you use your ears carefully as the power of the OTB is pretty huge, if not used with care you may damage the cabs.