Jump to content
Why become a member? Read more... ×
josie

Epiphone Jack Casady serial numbers?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if there's an online key to Epiphone bass serial numbers? I've looked and can't find one. 

Trying to date the beautiful Jack Casady 0902220012 which somehow came home with me yesterday 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect thank you! Good site to know about in general, too. Trust the BC community to know these things! 🙂 

(2009 in case anyone else is wondering...) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't they gorgeous? 🙂Shame about the neck dive, but a wide rough suede strap should be enough to control it. 

Yours like mine is missing the pick guard - I don't like the original white, but for me it just looks like something's missing without one. Can't find a black replacement, so thinking of having one made or even trying to make one myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed they are. Mine needs a decent setup and the jack input is loose so I need to right that. And yeah, was thinking similarly with the strap tbh.

I’m fortunate that I got the plate with mine but am unsure just now as to whether I prefer with or without. If I stick to without I’ll let you know! 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im lucky, as mine is a 20th Aniv model, so i know when it was made. it also has a large sticker inside stating it. Still, i might check that website to see if it confirms this.

I love the bass, but its the most uncomfortable bass ive ever played. Not the actual playing of it on the neck, just sitting down or standing with it. i get neck or shoulder ache. I love the neck, although i cant quite get the action i want. I think ill get a fret dressing in the new year. I guess im just not used to non Fender shaped basses.

The bridge popped off 30mins in to owning it, but a bit of superglue has worked well and ive not had it come off again. I ordered a new bridge in a state of panic, but i was happy with the old bridge. The new one is more comfortable though, as i play mostly with a pick so tend ot rest my hand on the bridge.

I got a nice wide strap, so neck dive isnt a problem, but i do find the edge of the body cuts in to my right forearm after a while. .

Overall for me, a flawed bass but the first bass ive owned that im prepared to live with them, as i love the tone so much.

32058343968_f9d668cd0d_c.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

im lucky, as mine is a 20th Aniv model, so i know when it was made. it also has a large sticker inside stating it. Still, i might check that website to see if it confirms this.

I love the bass, but its the most uncomfortable bass ive ever played. Not the actual playing of it on the neck, just sitting down or standing with it. i get neck or shoulder ache. I love the neck, although i cant quite get the action i want. I think ill get a fret dressing in the new year. I guess im just not used to non Fender shaped basses.

The bridge popped off 30mins in to owning it, but a bit of superglue has worked well and ive not had it come off again. I ordered a new bridge in a state of panic, but i was happy with the old bridge. The new one is more comfortable though, as i play mostly with a pick so tend ot rest my hand on the bridge.

I got a nice wide strap, so neck dive isnt a problem, but i do find the edge of the body cuts in to my right forearm after a while. .

Overall for me, a flawed bass but the first bass ive owned that im prepared to live with them, as i love the tone so much.

32058343968_f9d668cd0d_c.jpg

Who makes the replacement bridge? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wylie said:

Who makes the replacement bridge? 

Also, I'd love to read a review of this bass. Thanks!

 

W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm coming to this from being lucky enough to have a 1966 Gibson EB2, and unlucky enough that it lives with my son (drummer and occasional bass player) in Nashville, and realistically I'll never be able to get it back to the UK, or to gig it if I did (too fragile and valuable). So the JC satisfies my lust for a hollow-body that I can pick up any time, and gig. In fact I gigged it within two hours of buying it from @Pow_22 before our gig on Sunday 🙂 

I don't have the technical knowledge of many BC peeps to do a proper review. But I like the simplicity of the controls - numbered dials for tone and volume, and a 3-position tone switch so you can easily change sound - say between verse and bridge. I don't usually like a gloss neck, but that wasn't a problem.

It really does need flats! I have D'addario chrome flats on my two fretless basses, and the Elite stainless steels on this feel surprisingly different - more slippery - almost as if they were somehow flatter. But they're right for it.

Once you pick up a (semi)hollow-body there's no looking back (imho). There's a visceral resonance that a solid-body just can't have. And just so much presence. 

If only there was a 5... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wylie said:

Also, I'd love to read a review of this bass. Thanks!

 

W.

The bridge is a Hipshot Supertone. https://hipshotproducts.com/products/supertone-gibson-bass-replacement-bridge?variant=33244555720

Its direct replacement, no adjustments needed to the bass other than the action etc needing setting up. Nothing wrong with the stock bridge, but i like black hardware and this bridge also allows individual string height adjustment.

The bass has been out for over 20 years so plenty of reviews about. Im not much good at writing them im afraid. Ed Friedland amongst others have reviewed this and do a much better job than i could.

What i will say is its a pretty unique tone, but seems to fit in with most styles. The selector switch really does make a difference, and ive found using the second and third settings give me a nice slightly compressed 70's rock tone, all without any fx. In fact this type of tone control has shown me i should have it in my P bass as well, so thats on the cards next month.

Like Josie i found the neck to be surprisingly playable. I dont like fat wide necks but the JCB isnt wide at the nut, and just feels very comfortable in the hand. Not a fast neck, but i like that it makes me play with more attention and accuracy.

I got mine after watching the Stone Roses documentary a few times and decided i wanted to try that tone out. until two days before getting it (Very good deal from Andertons on this) it was a bass i had no interest at all in. i got this one over the black as it came with a gig bag, and it was actually cheaper at the time.

 

There is something about it that i just cant gel with, but that might just be because i love, or amy more used to my P bass. its certainly a keeper though and im hoping i find more use for it.

 

Edited by dave_bass5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah I love JC basses. I had a 2007 goldtop one until i sold it this summer to fund a Fender Mustang bass.

The neckdive was spectacular, but yeah i used a 3.5inch wide rough suede strap which went a long way to reining it in.

Lovely sounding thing TI flats on it.

Great bit of kit, and got me noticed on stage too!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

The bridge is a Hipshot Supertone. https://hipshotproducts.com/products/supertone-gibson-bass-replacement-bridge?variant=33244555720

Its direct replacement, no adjustments needed to the bass other than the action etc needing setting up. Nothing wrong with the stock bridge, but i like black hardware and this bridge also allows individual string height adjustment.

The bass has been out for over 20 years so plenty of reviews about. Im not much good at writing them im afraid. Ed Friedland amongst others have reviewed this and do a much better job than i could.

What i will say is its a pretty unique tone, but seems to fit in with most styles. The selector switch really does make a difference, and ive found using the second and third settings give me a nice slightly compressed 70's rock tone, all without any fx. In fact this type of tone control has shown me i should have it in my P bass as well, so thats on the cards next month.

Like Josie i found the neck to be surprisingly playable. I dont like fat wide necks but the JCB isnt wide at the nut, and just feels very comfortable in the hand. Not a fast neck, but i like that it makes me play with more attention and accuracy.

I got mine after watching the Stone Roses documentary a few times and decided i wanted to try that tone out. until two days before getting it (Very good deal from Andertons on this) it was a bass i had no interest at all in. i got this one over the black as it came with a gig bag, and it was actually cheaper at the time.

 

There is something about it that i just cant gel with, but that might just be because i love, or amy more used to my P bass. its certainly a keeper though and im hoping i find more use for it.

 

Much appreciated--thanks Dave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×