Why become a member? ×

Got a loose mains socket on my combo. The thing the mains lead plugs into. It's a 3-pin effort, using something a bit like a kettle or Euro lead, but probably isn't. The lead plugs in OK and everything works but the connection is flimsy and  loose and the lead is in danger of falling out. How can I fix it? Thanks. :)

Edited by discreet

It's normally an IEC socket/plug/lead which is pretty much the same as as a kettle. 

The only real solution to fixing it is to change it. They are pretty standard, some with a flip out fuse and some not. You may get lucky and find the wires inside the amp section are on spade connectors and will just plug on. Otherwise it's "get the soldering iron out" time.

As a matter of interest, what Combo is it?

4 minutes ago, rmorris said:

Just a thought ... You've tried it withh different leads to make sure it's the socket that is the problem ?

Nice thought, but that was the first thing I did. I need to get the amp out and see if its repair or replace. Thanks though. :)

modern lead ends don't seem to be as chunky as the old ones (or they wear - maybe the internals of the plug rather than the body ?), I have a lovely 2m long thirty year old grey right angle head IEC lead (original with TE combo) and that is a really robust snug fit in both the bass and guitar amps whereas the lead that came with the guitar combo from 5 years ago (Fender) is a looser fit in both amps

you can trip over the old grey one and it will pull the amp over ( Boxer 30 watt practice combo), trip over the Fender one and the plug pulls out even with the lighter guitar combo

The old cable is heavier gauge as well, BICC made in St. Helens 13amp flex of it's era whereas the fender one is thinner, less flexible and more like just the 5amp rating it is fused at and has more memory so if kinked will tend to retain a slight distortion where it has been kinked - I notice now how much cables hold the shape they were packed in (usually bunched with a tie and in a plastic bag) even if you use them fully extended in a warm environment for a while - it can be convenient if you put the cable back in a confined space like with a power tool in a case but it does mean they don't lay flat when you might want them to like on the floor where you might be stepping over them so can be more of a trip hazard

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

...modern lead ends don't seem to be as chunky as the old ones (or they wear - maybe the internals of the plug rather than the body ?), I have a lovely 2m long thirty year old grey right angle head IEC lead (original with TE combo) and that is a really robust snug fit in both the bass and guitar amps whereas the lead that came with the guitar combo from 5 years ago (Fender) is a looser fit in both amps.

The cable I'm using I've used for years in various amps and combos and it's fine... tried it in another socket only yesterday and it's snug. The Trace mains inlet socket is definitely slightly loose in the chassis so I'm fairly sure that's the problem. The whole amp was a bit loose in general, I've so far had cause to tighten up the Input and Master volume controls. Easy enough, there's a screw under the cap, that's it. But I'll need to remove the amp from the combo to see what's afoot with the socket. :)

9 hours ago, discreet said:

Hot glue, thankfully. Though it hasn't been hot since 1997. It's become detached from the metal of the chassis so should be easy to remove... I hope.

Yep, shouldn't be too bad to remove and if you can't get a "push fit" replacement exactly the same size, there seems like plenty of room if you need to drill through the chassis and bolt/self tap a new one in.

On 09/11/2018 at 10:50, BassBunny said:

Yep, shouldn't be too bad to remove and if you can't get a "push fit" replacement exactly the same size, there seems like plenty of room if you need to drill through the chassis and bolt/self tap a new one in.

Thanks for this - I found a Bulgin UK replacement (fused, push-fit, tabs), so hopefully that'll drop straight in, or at least push straight in...

Bulgin PF00111563.jpg

Edited by discreet