Why become a member? ×

turning a squier jazz active...

marcus bell

[quote name='WarPig' post='341486' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:34 PM']Some sort of aftermarket pre-amp.

Youll need to be careful about how much space is avaliable, unless you want to/get someone to fit a battery compartment ect.[/quote]

you see what i was thinking was to get a cheap 3 band eq and volume all pre wired off of ebay, then i would put them into the four holes on the control plate, mount the battery under the scratchplate, and have a side jack...

i would get the pickup later :)

any idea, opinions?

[quote name='marcus bell' post='341492' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:38 PM']you see what i was thinking was to get a cheap 3 band eq and volume all pre wired off of ebay, then i would put them into the four holes on the control plate, mount the battery under the scratchplate, and have a side jack...

i would get the pickup later :)

any idea, opinions?[/quote]

I was going to do something very similar, but ran into space problems, if you know that it will all fit fine hit Prosebass up with a PM and he might be able to make you a 4 hole control plate to save you drilling into your bass.

Its a good idea still, it will mean the bass is more versatile.

Good luck! :huh:

Edited by WarPig

I did it to my Squier VMJ.I used an ARTEC SE2A unit off Ebay.It gives you a blend control,treble and bass boost/cut,and master volume.Much better tonal range than the standard set up.You will need to route out a cut out on the back for the battery box,but thats it.8 solder connections in all,and all for around £30.Check it out.

Edited by squire5

[quote name='squire5' post='341518' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:00 PM']I did it to my Squier VMJ.I used an ARTEC SE2A unit off Ebay.It gives you a blend control,treble and bass boost/cut,and master volume.Much better tonal range than the standard set up.You will need to route out a cut out on the back for the battery box,but thats it.8 solder connections in all,and all for around £30.Check it out.[/quote]

hi, im thinking about this option, so what knobs did you use for the double layer pot???

thanks

marcus

i think my squier ones will do the job for now...but the preamp is well cheap check it out. artec se2a (Y)...

or i might ust leave it standard, it needs new pots anyways cos ive stripped the shafts out of the old ones lol, by accident changing the knobs haha :)

oh and strings would help too!!!< i just want to do something to this bass its been under my bed for months lol

[quote name='marcus bell' post='341582' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:34 AM']hi, im thinking about this option, so what knobs did you use for the double layer pot???

thanks

marcus[/quote]

Again Marcus,Ebay came to the rescue.Look under 'Dual concentric' in 'knobs'(oo-er missus).They come in 'short' and 'tall' versions.I used the tall one.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='342228' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:52 PM']Try some preamp pedals, Aguilar, Sadowsky or the Electro Harmonix "Knock out" looks good value.
In Bass Guitar Mag, it gave it a brilliant review and said it did a great job of making slapping sound good.[/quote]

What, it has a mute button? :)

If you're not 100% sure about what you want to go for, a pedal might be a better move. You haven't got to make any irreversible big holes in your bass (I get nervous whenever I go near mine with power tools!), and if you upgrade to something new, your preamp stays with you. It's also a lot less hassle to sell/swap for a different one if you don't like the sound.

[quote name='squire5' post='342367' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:03 PM']Again Marcus,Ebay came to the rescue.Look under 'Dual concentric' in 'knobs'(oo-er missus).They come in 'short' and 'tall' versions.I used the tall one.[/quote]
They're cheaper from [url="http://www.axesrus.com/axenob.htm"]AxesRUs (knobs, tips, strap locks, not knobs pots)[/url]. Look for the one that says "FITS ALPHA, ARTEC POTS".

+1 on the outboard preamp.If you can pick one up 2nd hand,you won;tlose out if you don;tlike the sound and decide to sell it on. Plus, you can share it amongst anumber of basses.

If you want the Marcus Miller sound, a Sadowsky preamp is the one to get. The Aguilar 924(?) which is the OBP-1 in a external chassis sounds fantastic. There also the EBS microbass or the John East.