Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke Interview

upside downer

21 hours ago, visog said:

Indeed and he was his usual funny, benevolent and very modest self. A true gent.

This is interesting. I've met him twice and both times he was anything but; very disappointing as I'm a huge Stanley fan. In fact of all the many celeb musicians I've met my experience with him was the worst, twice. Doesn't stop me digging his music though!

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

This is interesting. I've met him twice and both times he was anything but; very disappointing as I'm a huge Stanley fan. In fact of all the many celeb musicians I've met my experience with him was the worst, twice. Doesn't stop me digging his music though!

17 minutes ago, visog said:

Perhaps you caught him on a bad day... twice?

Yes - and now you need to spill the beans.

4 hours ago, visog said:

Perhaps you caught him on a bad day... twice?

It's funny that should come up, as I had previously read unflattering reports from people who had met Stan in person but I usually don't put too much stock in these accounts. I'm sure it's difficult to reciprocate the constant enthusiasm you're met with as a musical hero, but were I in that position, I would surely try and be a gracious gentleman at all times. 

Saw him at the jazz cafe camden years ago. he barged past us on his way into the venue, didn't play school days then did a runner without doing an encore.  We gave chase and caught up with him outside but he refused to give my mate an autograph and stormed off. That said, we did enjoy his gig. 

My main gripe with big name bassists is that they never come to Scotland on their 'UK' tours.