Why become a member? ×

markbass tte800. wow! big surprise

danbowskill

I've recently received this markbass tte800 in a trade..

In the past it's mainly been tube amps for me, I've had a couple of SVT cl's Orange Ad200 and of late a fender superbassman.After getting my last amp(GK 1001) trying to downsize weight,I sorely missed that tube tone "heft"....so i was convinced I had to have a big valve job again.

I was offered the markbass so I thought I'd give it ago since I've never had a lightweight class D head ( late to the party).....and Crikey it's bloody wonderful 🙂 It really does sound and feel like a tube amp...heft,touch,punch...the works! and God it can get stupid loud if wanted. It reminds me of the Orange tube head in tone with a little less gain on tap but with more punch.

After Adding a little blended tech21 Vt to the mix .... this is feeling like it might be my perfect amp.

I don't know why there isn't more love for these? I get the minimal eq on it might be a put off, but I can get a fair few different tones out of it.....i imagine with a active bass the simplicity would be a plus?

It's a winner 🙂20181024_210730.thumb.jpg.a911cd4d571b15409557041077dde548.jpg

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 3

Never tried one, but always been curious. They seem like my ideal amp too and the comparison to the Orange AD200 is very interesting as one of my favourite amps is the original Orange Terror Bass. Might have to keep an eye out for one of these in future...

They do seem like a really good bit of kit, Dan, and I'm also keen to try one out, particularly after your recommendation.

Besides - I'm sure you won't have paid anything like £829 for it used, which btw is pretty much the going rate for comparable quality D-class heads such as the DG M900 (£925 new) or Mesa D800+ (£1,050 new).

Congratulations on finding something you love. What price do any of us put on that? :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

IME Markbass amps are good amps. While they have a puzzling marketing philosophy, they've discontinued more gear than most companies make in their lifetime, I've never heard anyone getting a bad sound out of a Markbass amp.

As you're adding "a little blended tech21 Vt" to get your sound, I guess they are not exactly right for you?

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

IME Markbass amps are good amps. While they have a puzzling marketing philosophy, they've discontinued more gear than most companies make in their lifetime, I've never heard anyone getting a bad sound out of a Markbass amp.

As you're adding "a little blended tech21 Vt" to get your sound, I guess they are not exactly right for you?

Tbh I only gave it it's first blast at practice yesterday ( where my cab lives) so not a truly in depth mess around with it as I'd of liked.the Vt has always been my safety net sound with my band after playing Ampeg for so long, I'm sure with a bit more playing I could probably loose it?....it just felt like a wonderful tube amp to me ,:-).

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

They do seem like a really good bit of kit, Dan - and I'm sure you won't have paid anything like £829 for it used, which btw is pretty much the going rate for comparable quality D-class heads such as the DG M900 (£925 new) or Mesa D800+ (£1,050 new).

Congratulations on finding something you love. What price do any of us put on that? :) 

No not £829......but I've played amps costing more that sound no where near as good.i wouldn't begrudge paying that new though.

I'm sure there are awesome class D's out there lesser priced that might boast better specs?I'm new to all this lightweight scene, only played a RH450 and ampeg pf500 before.but having played valves most of my bass life I can tell you it certainly feels like a big glass+ iron head

Edited by danbowskill