Why become a member? ×

Looks like a classic shill bid to me!

warwickhunt

[quote name='gareth' post='341497' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:40 PM']And on what experience do you base this opinion please?[/quote]

Never used it.

But it's still sh*t.

If I want to buy something, I want to buy it. I don't want to enter into an auction for it. Also, when I look at stuff on there, most of it seems to be online shops as opposed to individuals selling stuff.

Most things on there also seem overpriced. I'm sure there's a few bargains, but you really have to search for them. I'd rather pay more and not have the hassle.

As for selling on it, that really is sh*t. Unless your lucky enough to sell it to someone who lives close to you, you have to post stuff. As I am unable to use the post office, I'm f***ed.

You also need to upload pictures, fill in forms, do stuff etc. At 27, I'm too old to learn a new things like this.

I don't think you'll find a stronger and more conclusive argument then the above. From now on, I propose that you all stop using it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='341688' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:22 AM']Never used it.

But it's still sh*t.

If I want to buy something, I want to buy it. I don't want to enter into an auction for it. Also, when I look at stuff on there, most of it seems to be online shops as opposed to individuals selling stuff.

Most things on there also seem overpriced. I'm sure there's a few bargains, but you really have to search for them. I'd rather pay more and not have the hassle.

As for selling on it, that really is sh*t. Unless your lucky enough to sell it to someone who lives close to you, you have to post stuff. As I am unable to use the post office, I'm f***ed.

You also need to upload pictures, fill in forms, do stuff etc. At 27, I'm too old to learn a new things like this.

I don't think you'll find a stronger and more conclusive argument then the above. From now on, I propose that you all stop using it.[/quote]
Duly noted.
Account cancelled.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='341536' date='Nov 30 2008, 11:21 PM']I have no disagreement with the seller or the final price, it is worth what it is worth. However it ALWAYS sets alarm bells off when you have a bidder (i.e. bidder 11) putting in a bid of £389.99... £389.99... who 'genuinely' puts in a bid of £389.99 if they truly want to win something? Nobody, "not ever" puts a bid in of £XX9.99 if they want to win; that is a bid set to ensure that your shill bid is just below what you genuinely want. I've seen it soooooo many times you wouldn't believe it and if you don't trump that bid it is equally amazing how many 2nd chance offers you get. :)[/quote]
But they didn't put in a bid of 399-99, they put in a bid of 401. However, 399-99 of the bid was used to cover the previous maximum of 389-99 plus the increment of 10. As soon as someone bid more than 409-99 (399-99 plus increment), the bid went to its maximum of 401, hence the next bidder had to bid at least 411.

[quote name='tauzero' post='341898' date='Dec 1 2008, 01:48 PM']But they didn't put in a bid of 399-99, they put in a bid of 401. However, 399-99 of the bid was used to cover the previous maximum of 389-99 plus the increment of 10. As soon as someone bid more than 409-99 (399-99 plus increment), the bid went to its maximum of 401, hence the next bidder had to bid at least 411.[/quote]

I think we're chasing the same thing around and we agree with each other. :)

One of the bidders placed a bid of £389.99 which is a silly amount to bid UNLESS you want someone to just beat you with a bid of £400! My view is that the seller wanted to guarantee that he got £400, as it happens he achieved this and more so no need to continue bidding it up and risking not getting a sale by being the highest. Not that it matters I'm just passing comment so that less experienced bass playing/buying eBayers (what this section of the forum is directed at) can be aware of regular 'tricks'. Ultimately you bid what you want to bid and if you when, great but there are things to watch out for that can have you paying more than you need. Walk away from an auction being shill bidded and chances are it will come back again but the seller will be less inclined to bump things.

I say this because I'm watching a bass that has followed the pattern of bidding that I outlined above and 'surprise surprise', it has been relisted for the third time due to 'non-paying bidders'. This time the bidding hasn't followed that pattern and the bids are staying remarkably low for the early stages of the auction (which they haven't done before). Time will tell if I am correct... and the bidding might still go daft at the end! Wish me luck. :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='342066' date='Dec 1 2008, 04:41 PM']I say this because I'm watching a bass that has followed the pattern of bidding that I outlined above and 'surprise surprise', it has been relisted for the third time due to 'non-paying bidders'. This time the bidding hasn't followed that pattern and the bids are staying remarkably low for the early stages of the auction (which they haven't done before). Time will tell if I am correct... and the bidding might still go daft at the end! Wish me luck. :)[/quote]

Which one are you bidding on? I only ask because I want to place a bid for £399 ...

:brow:

[quote name='gareth' post='341673' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:05 AM']As a matter of interest which of the 2 do you prefer or do they each have their own appeal?[/quote]

Well they're both Skylines. I originally wanted a DD in CAR but I couldn't find one at the right price. Just missed out on the one involved in NiceGuyHomer's saga. Then the BG came up at an irresistible price so I bought it. And then ... another DD came up at an even more irresistible price!

So now I have two very similar basses and I either have to sell one, or find a way to justify keeping both. At which point my blues band decides to do some function gigs (which is more than my functions band is doing) so there's my answer. Use the DD with flats for blues and soul/Stax/Motown stuff, use the BG with rounds for pop and rock. Having both on stage looks really good, too.

Works for me, anyway. :)

I had the BG first and I was blown away by what a nice bass it is, my first Lakland and SO much nicer than any modern Fender I've tried. Very playable, instinctively feels right, sounds great, superb build quality. Fitted with Lindy Fralin pickup (original fitment) and now strung with DR Highbeams - so I have black strings against a maple board - it cuts through beautifully.

The DD should by rights feel pretty much the same; on paper the differences between them are really not that great. Original fitment pickup is Lakland's own and it's now strung with heavy Rotosound flats ... shame the nut is made of a plastic that's only slightly harder than rubber. :huh:

But the tone ... oh, the tone! I'd never been convinced by the whole "piano tone" concept before, but the DD has it. Maybe it's the flats, maybe it's the wood, maybe it's my fabulous touch (oh, well, maybe strike that last one) but that DD is a P-bass to die for. It just feels more solid, and the notes really do ring through the body - both the DD and the BG are strung through the body but it seems much more effective on the DD.

Put it this way, next time I have a reason to go to the States I will be trying everything I know to bring back a US-made DD.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='342066' date='Dec 1 2008, 04:41 PM']One of the bidders placed a bid of £389.99 which is a silly amount to bid UNLESS you want someone to just beat you with a bid of £400![/quote]
Oh. You mean you don't stick odd numbers of pennies onto the end of your bids? I always do. Might be that he really wanted to limit his highest bid to £380 but hated the thought that it might go for a couple of quid more than that.

[quote name='tauzero' post='343177' date='Dec 2 2008, 04:29 PM']Oh. You mean you don't stick odd numbers of pennies onto the end of your bids? I always do. Might be that he really wanted to limit his highest bid to £380 but hated the thought that it might go for a couple of quid more than that.[/quote]

Come on lets look at this objectively. Like you I ALWAYS chuck odd £ and pence on whatever I intend reasonably bidding (ie £400 is something like £403.55... or whatever) but you can't seriously think that someone bidding 'almost' £400 is going to bid £389.99? I accept that if the bidders limit was £380 that he might chuck a quid or a few pence on top of that, say £381.75 or whatever but £389.99... If your limit is £390 you'd at least bid £390 NOT £389.99 that is so close to the kind of rounded of bid that someone would usually place (£390) that you are almost begging to be beat.

Sorry I have to say that if I see any bid of £XXX.99 that is just below a significant number then I'll have to think it's a dodgy bid. If the person genuinely wanted to bid to win, the least they would do is round it up to the nearest £ or a few pence over!

Just to revive this chain of thought, I'm selling a van on eBay at the moment (see the [i]Weep With Me[/i] thread).

If you go looking at that auction you'll just see the usual Bidder #1, Bidder #2 etc. whereas I see everything.

There have already been eight bids by a complete newbie (feedback = 1) which will have led some potential buyers to think it's me running a shill bidding scam, and led [b]me[/b] to worry that the guy might win the auction then disappear without paying me.

There have also been three bids at ridiculously round numbers - two at £200 and later one at £300.

Best of all is one clown who did exactly what worried WarwickHunt and bid £295!

Just for once I can be absolutely sure that none of this is "rigged" by the vendor, and it all serves to convince me still further that cock-up theory is a far more useful tool than conspiracy theory.

Some people just aren't very bright.