Why become a member? ×

New Old Bassist would Appreciate Advice...

TripleB67

6 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I suppose the same way not all of us told Europe to **ck-off, not all of us have had your experiences with bands. I don’t think such sweeping generalisations help the op, indeed he may experience some of this things but I think he should be encouraged.

Would you encourage "your" friend to start playing a bass guitar at 60 and join a band?

There are far, far better things to be done in one's twilight years...

For me, playing bass is a legacy issue. After 50 years I can't stop now. I still have my fretless '69 PB. There's still DNA on the fingerboard from the summer of '69...

Just now, StringNavigator said:

Would you encourage "your" friend to start playing a bass guitar at 60 and join a band?

For me, playing bass is a legacy issue. After 50 years I can't stop now. I still have my fretless '69 PB. There's still DNA on the fingerboard from the summer of '69...

Not sure I’d want bryan’s DNA on *my* fingerboard

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

People in bands are damaged people...

Complete nonsense.

Toronto, right? Beautiful city. But I understand you guys are running out of pot having become the second country on the planet after Uruguay to legalise the stuff... 

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

Complete nonsense.

Toronto, right? Beautiful city. But I understand you guys are running out of pot having become the second country on the planet after Uruguay to legalise the stuff... 

Plenty of garden centres round by me to get as many pots as you like. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

:) Not all of us. In fact I think you've done the OP a great service in correctly pointing out that 96% of amateur bands are populated (at least in part) by treacherous, incompetent morons. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't give it a go, playing in a band. But it's best to go into these things with one's eyes wide open and on the qui-vive for the customary shenanigans.

Precisely!!!

6 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

Why not?

I certainly would.

I started playing bass not long before my 50s. My two bands 5 years later are both playing functions. Last night we made our drummer's dream come true when she was able to play at her own wedding reception in her wedding dress. It was a wonderful night.

Life is for living. It doesn't need to end at 60.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

I would indeed, if he wished too, obviously there are things to consider and watch out for, hence reasoned advice but, yes, of course.

Sure, if that’s your choice, all of which, no doubt, have pitfalls and things to avoid but, like playing bass, alone or with others, can be a wonderful thing to do too.

That’s great, excellent in fact, I’m still 100% behind the op doing his thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

As for Br*xit: it's something we tend to steer clear of round here for fear of inflammatory divisiveness, particularly if someone were to say that we're not telling the whole of Europe to f**k off, just those select few in charge of the supranational administrative framework. 

Ah! Like a six letter word... Or an over-sized coffee table with very short legs in the middle of a room. We all know it's there and we all walk around it, but we never use it. (Would you call it a tea table?) Or a very cheap lawn ornament Elf that we all see as we arrive but never comment on for fear that our hostess may try to give it to us. Thank you once again, SDV! You've saved my Canadian Bacon! Europe is not a place to tread in one's moccasins without careful deliberation. Especially with so many doggie lovers! (Of course I mean that in the most innocent of terms.)    

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

The best way is to get your guitard to criticise your brogues and tell you he can wear brogues better than you ever can. In fact, he’s so talented, he can wear moccasins.

Moccasins are more comfortable than bare feet. I used to wear them in the winter as a young lad as I journeyed through the drifting dunes of sparkling white snow drifts on my way to school... for several miles!

I think that brogues are shoes that have gone bad... Suitable for guitards!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

Moccasins are more comfortable than bare feet. I used to wear them in the winter as a young lad as I journeyed through the drifting dunes of sparkling white snow drifts on my way to school... for several miles!

I think that brogues are shoes that have gone bad... Suitable for guitards!

Espadrilles are where it’s at these days. Especially for mountain walking on the continent

Ignore adverse comments for they do not know you.

Learn by whatever means work for you.

Try different sources and then narrow them down to a shortlist.

As this is a UK based forum, I will suggest you check out the talkingbass.net website, the guy who runs it has a massive area of free video tutorials and downloadable PDF files.  

If you use the site as the standard then at least will help to sortout the rubbish from the good.

Tip

If a tutorial starts off with .... wassup .... move on quickly to someone who can teach.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

Europe is not a place to tread in one's moccasins without careful deliberation. Especially with so many doggie lovers! (Of course I mean that in the most innocent of terms.)    

I find a pair of light pink ballet shoes are just the ticket when tiptoeing across the endless carpet of animal faeces that threatens to overwhelm the major urban conurbations in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

And the europop.. don’t forget the europop

And the European Song Contest...? Now that you have made your B*****, what becomes of that, now...? Have you forgotten the summer of '69 when Lulu sang "Boom Bang-a-Bang"...? 

By the way, now that Britannia is footloose and "Fancy-Free"... perhaps I can interest you in some Canadian Moose Hide Moccasins when you establish your new trade deal with The Dominion Of Canada! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, StringNavigator said:

And the European Song Contest...? Now that you have made your B*****, what becomes of that, now...? Have you forgotten the summer of '69 when Lulu sang "Boom Bang-a-Bang"...? 

By the way, now that Britannia is footloose and "Fancy-Free"... perhaps I can interest you in some Canadian Moose Hide Moccasins when you establish your new trade deal with The Dominion Of Canada! 

I’m sure we will be fine.. given that Australia are in the Eurovision Song Contest :scratch_one-s_head: