Why become a member? ×

New Old Bassist would Appreciate Advice...

TripleB67

1 minute ago, StringNavigator said:

Projection is no avail for resentment. Simply design your life for success. Speaking honestly about one's experience and offering general advice is not resentment. Do you resent what I wrote...?

Certainly not! I think it's quite clear you feel that you have been treated badly, that doesn't guarantee that everyone else will receive the same treatment. 

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Becominga bass player at 60 in 2018 means one will never make money at it and will, quite frankly, be laughed at.

You are never too old to learn bass ,or any instrument  for that matter,  and not very friendly advise  imo 

Of course. But the OP was seeking advice. He claimed that the money spent on gear was competing with his obligations to his family. You should read the OP. I wrote that he could use it as a pastime. But I would avoid seeking band-mates. What is the life expectancy of a punter band...? Bands are time wasters. 

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

I’d have said more like custard pies...

:) I'd estimate that 57% of BC threads are about:

* One or more of my band mates are idiots and I hate them. Should (i) I talk to them about it (ii) leave the band (iii) kill them with a chainsaw?
* There's no money in gigging anymore and even if there were my stupid front man keeps signing us up for charity gigs 200 miles away
* Last time we played no one turned up and even if they do turn up they just ignore us
* Look at this Musicians Wanted ad: the snarky little bastards are specifying 'must be under 30'. 
*Anyone else feel like selling all their bass gear and building a model railway in the shed?

I rest my case.

The thing I like about Mr Navigator is that despite being Canadian (and therefore by nationality a sunny optimist) its only taken him 14 days on BassChat to succumb to the British disease of gloomy defeatism and ingrained negativity. IMO, he's fitting right in: The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined, the Maple Leaf Forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, I guess its not hard to see why they wanted the old bass player back :D

Don't give up your day job for stand-up. Is that a picture of a rat?

These punters never intended to take on a new bass player. They simply wanted someone to fill in temporarily, but they lied about their intentions. Many bands do this and waste people's time and efforts. 

Now for my money @StringNavigator‘s contribution to this thread might be the best reply I’ve ever read on here, seriously, that was an absolute blinder, encore, author, encore...

DISCLAIMER: These posts are being provided solely for informational purposes. Anyone who plays bass and or any other musical instrument does not warrant the quality, accuracy or completeness of any information provided in this thread and such information is provided as is without any warranty or condition of any kind. Neither the vast majority of bass players nor any other musician associated with the creation of this thread or its contents shall be liable or responsible to any person for any harm, loss or damage that may arise in connection with the advice given, including without limitation, any indirect, third party, or consequential damages.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Certainly not! I think it's quite clear you feel that you have been treated badly, that doesn't guarantee that everyone else will receive the same treatment. 

I've seen others get the shaft. I quit when I seen that happening. A band is not more important than a soul. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

they lied about their intentions. Many bands do this and waste people's time and efforts. 

... and holding steady at number five in the official BassChat Top Ten Topics Chart - 'Those f**kers lied to me'.

The Nav's on fire, here :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

... and holding steady at number five in the official Top Ten Topics Chart - 'Those f**kers lied to me'.

The Nav's on fire, here :i-m_so_happy:

I have learned from this thread. I’m not joining a band in Canada. Not only do they shaft you, but the 3000 odd mile journey to rehearsals would be a killer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh right, I get it now, you have a soul...

...just for info, none of us have.

Speak for yourself. I have two. I even had a pair of shoes re-souled recently. I opted for “slightly cynical but romantic to the core” on my docs..

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m getting my weary brogues reinvigorated with Canadian *issues*.

The best way is to get your guitard to criticise your brogues and tell you he can wear brogues better than you ever can. In fact, he’s so talented, he can wear moccasins.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Oh right, I get it now, you have a soul...

...just for info, none of us have.

I'm starting to believe it! You Limeys are giving me a run for my money, today! 

And to think that after you've all just told the whole of Europe to **ck-off, most are calling me a poor sport  (and maybe other things) for retiring from the band biz. Viva La Brexit! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

And to think that after you've all just told the whole of Europe to **ck-off, most are calling me a poor sport  (and maybe other things) for retiring from the band biz. Viva La Brexit! 

We are only leaving the EU because their guitards insist on playing synth Europop all the time, and frankly, it’s beginning to grate now.

Anyway, pass the tea there old chap 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

And to think that after you've all just told the whole of Europe to **ck-off, most are calling me a poor sport (and maybe other things) for retiring from the band biz. Viva La Brexit!

I suppose the same way not all of us told Europe to **ck-off, not all of us have had your experiences with bands. I don’t think such sweeping generalisations help the op, indeed he may experience some of this things but I think he should be encouraged.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StringNavigator said:

:) Not all of us. In fact I think you've done the OP a great service in correctly pointing out that 96% of amateur bands are populated (at least in part) by treacherous, incompetent morons. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't give it a go, playing in a band. But it's best to go into these things with one's eyes wide open and on the qui-vive for the customary shenanigans.

As for Br*xit: it's something we tend to steer clear of round here for fear of inflammatory divisiveness, particularly if someone were to say that we're not telling the whole of Europe to f**k off, just those select few in charge of the supranational administrative framework. 

Edited by skankdelvar
Edit for: Don't forget the Europop. Major contributory factor.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

:) Not all of us. In fact I think you've done the OP a great service in correctly pointing out that 96% of amateur bands are populated (at least in part) by treacherous, incompetent morons. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't give it a go, playing in a band. But it's best to go into these things with one's eyes wide open and on the qui-vive for the customary shenanigans.

As for Br*xit: it's something we tend to steer clear of round here for fear of inflammatory divisiveness, particularly if someone were to say that we're not telling the whole of Europe to f**k off, just those select few in charge of the supranational administrative framework. 

And the europop.. don’t forget the europop

• Like 1