Why become a member? ×

Bass Issue?

Adam555

I bought an Ibanez SR505 Left-handed from PMT in August 2018 

Played it a couple of times sitting down with no issues until I stood up to play. As I moved around I felt something 'nocking' inside the bass cavity, which also came though the amp.
I opened it up and noticed that one screw has slightly split wood and some of the electrics move around a bit, which I think is the main cause of the 'nocking' sound.

My question is.. Is this something I could fix my self, would it be something I should contact PMT for them to look at it or is it a non-issue.

The bass plays fine and sound great, I'm just worried as its a really special bass and I wouldn't want to ruin it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Inkedbass issue_LI.jpg

Welcome to the forum Adam.

Do not attempt to repair it until PMT have made an assessment.  If they say it is not their responsibility you have the choice of accepting what they say and taking the hit for repairs costs or seeking redress via consumer rights.

You'd have no solid ground from which to present your case otherwise.

For what it is, I'd remain optimistic that PMT will deal appropriately with it.

PS;  I agree.  It's a great bass to take you further with your playing.  I have the SR605 which is broadly similar.  Given that these instruments are made really well, your issue should not present a challenge to the vendor to fix at their own cost.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

From what I can see that is a quick fix with some wood glue and on you go, however....that isn’t the point, if this was a new bass then the problem shouldn’t be there and I would either be asking for a replacement or at least some sort of refund to compensate for the damage and to get it fixed. Im Sure they would be happier letting you hold on to it and giving money off than having to do it all themselves.

• Like 2

I agree that it looks like a simple fix - but as it is a new bass im not risking it lol (I'm no master luthier)

It was a limited edition Bubina/Jatoba Bass and its lefty so getting a replacement maybe tricky. All I'd like from them is a quick fix... Fingers crossed

P.s Contact them via email so waiting for a response but will take it to the store next weekend just to be proactive

• Like 2

With an issue like that, for me personally it all depends on how nice the rest of the instrument is. I've done the 'right-is-right' thing and sent instruments back to be swapped out or repaired in cases of minor defects, only to get back either an exchange that has issues of its own or just doesn't look/feel/play/sound as nice as the one I had, or a repair that I could have done better myself and has sometimes even caused additional damage. If that bass were mine, there was nothing else wrong with it and I liked it to the point of describing it as 'really special', I'd just glue the wood, secure the preamp PCB and get on with enjoying my bass. Just another opinion, of course.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

If that bass were mine, there was nothing else wrong with it and I liked it to the point of describing it as 'really special', I'd just glue the wood, secure the preamp PCB and get on with enjoying my bass. Just another opinion, of course.

I'm usually the same.  I have good manual skills though.

• Like 1

It does make me laugh that manufacturers don’t use inserts for screws on control cavities. They cost peanuts, only ever need to be fitted once and prevent any wood splitting in future. 

That circuit board would normally be glued or cable-tied down, and as it looks like it’s all plug-in with no direct soldering, it should be very easy to fix. A dab of glue in the  split wood and some inserts would fix the screw hole issue permanently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed_S said:

If that bass were mine, there was nothing else wrong with it and I liked it to the point of describing it as 'really special', I'd just glue the wood, secure the preamp PCB and get on with enjoying my bass.

Just out of curiosity when you say ''secure the preamp PCB'' How would you go about doing that exactly? Would be a matter of cable tying the PCB to the other cables?
I described it as 'special' because it's so fun and easy to play and it's a 30th birthday gift from my partner :) It now has sentimental value. 

1 hour ago, Adam555 said:

Just out of curiosity when you say ''secure the preamp PCB'' How would you go about doing that exactly? Would be a matter of cable tying the PCB to the other cables?
I described it as 'special' because it's so fun and easy to play and it's a 30th birthday gift from my partner :) It now has sentimental value. 

I’d probably just use a bit of soft open-cell packing foam to stop the board from moving around in the control cavity. Cable ties and blu-tack are other options, but soft foam would just fill the gap between the components and the cavity cover and stop anything from going anywhere with no risk that it’d become detached again, because it was never attached in the first place - just held in place.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted out without any drama and get back to enjoying playing it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ed_S said:

With an issue like that, for me personally it all depends on how nice the rest of the instrument is. I've done the 'right-is-right' thing and sent instruments back to be swapped out or repaired in cases of minor defects, only to get back either an exchange that has issues of its own or just doesn't look/feel/play/sound as nice as the one I had, or a repair that I could have done better myself and has sometimes even caused additional damage. If that bass were mine, there was nothing else wrong with it and I liked it to the point of describing it as 'really special', I'd just glue the wood, secure the preamp PCB and get on with enjoying my bass. Just another opinion, of course.

same here. It's such a trivial repair, I would not want to play lottery with what bass I'd receive next (unless I were able to go in person to the store and check their stock, which is not possible here, I take it)

7 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I’d probably just use a bit of soft open-cell packing foam to stop the board from moving around in the control cavity. Cable ties and blu-tack are other options, but soft foam would just fill the gap between the components and the cavity cover and stop anything from going anywhere with no risk that it’d become detached again, because it was never attached in the first place - just held in place.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted out without any drama and get back to enjoying playing it.

+1 on the foam. Simple, no residue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone interested. Had the Ibanez back from PMT and all the issues seem fixed. They filled the split wood, made a new screw hole and glued the preamp pcb down, it sounds fine now - issue fixed

They even ordered in a replacement just incase anything else goes wrong.

Thanks everyone for messaging.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2018 at 12:15, FDC484950 said:

It does make me laugh that manufacturers don’t use inserts for screws on control cavities.

Alembic do. Just as well as they don't have a quick release battery compartment - you have to go into the control cavity every time you need to change the battery :(