Why become a member? ×

£65 for a set up.?

bubinga5

12 hours ago, Twincam said:

Thats right people can pay what they like. But if your just getting a string change and setup which takes literally 5 or 10 min. Assuming there's no other issues then I'm sorry but that is extortionate! Just because your willing to pay doesn't mean everyone would want to or have the means to do so. A young musician just starting out might be put off getting his instrument setup correctly with those kinda prices. 

Of course If that 50 pounds includes some kind of fret work etc that's more reasonable. 

And i hope that your not suggesting I don't the job properly because i charge a lower and imo a fair price. I spend more time and effort then most "techs". And my work has been praised many times by bc members I shall add.

Also your maths is out if I charge £40 and i work 4 hours that's £10 a hour and not £5.

I misread it, I looked at it as if you were charging £15 for 3 - 4 hours work. Still, that's massively cheap! I know studio work is different but my hourly rate is three times that! You've still got to price accordingly, it's the whole not just providing the services, but everything that goes into it. When I consider the time it's taken to perfect my craft (so forever as you're always learning), cost of resources and such, £10 an hour really doesn't cut it for my time. It's just my opinion though, and we'll probably just end up agreeing to disagree on it. 

And I'm not at all suggesting that you don't do a job properly because of your rate, I don't know you at the end of the day and like you're so keen to point out, your work is praised by other BCers, so I've no reason to assume that you do a poor job. I'm just saying that it's surprisingly cheap for the service you say you provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked the bass up. Turns out he checked the electronics, truss rod, action, and set it up amazingly for £28. He had the bass for 9 days. The Sei now plays beautifully with the low action I wanted. I can't recommend this guy enough. His name is Lance and is in the Evesham area.. https://www.guitarstudio.co.uk

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Just picked the bass up. Turns out he checked the electronics, truss rod, action, and set it up amazingly for £28. He had the bass for 9 days. The Sei now plays beautifully with the low action I wanted. I can't recommend this guy enough. His name is Lance and is in the Evesham area.. https://www.guitarstudio.co.uk

Result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

See that's a reasonable enough price.

I always do my own set up periodically once a year. Contact cleaner on the switches, clean fretboard, frets and body, adjust the truss rod if it needed after all strings have been removed then re-fitted and check intonation. It really is very simple to set up and maintain your Bass and there are plenty of you tube vids around that show you how to do it. The only time I would take it a Luthier would be if it needed fret work doing on it,

20 minutes ago, RedVee said:

I always do my own set up periodically once a year. Contact cleaner on the switches, clean fretboard, frets and body, adjust the truss rod if it needed after all strings have been removed then re-fitted and check intonation. It really is very simple to set up and maintain your Bass and there are plenty of you tube vids around that show you how to do it. The only time I would take it a Luthier would be if it needed fret work doing on it,

Clean .... fretboard ... what strange language is this? Dirt is where the funk hides

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Clean .... fretboard ... what strange language is this? Dirt is where the funk hides

I have more Maple fretboards than Rosewood or Ebony so cleaning is a doddle as Maple is lacquered and therefore sealed so it doesn't need any fancy products just a wipe over. Rosewood and Ebony are a different matter and need more effort to remove gunk around frets which if left to build up can cause serious problems and does effect playing. Anyway I always wipe the neck of my bass after use and always play with clean hands, applying something like fast fret is good for your strings and neck and is easy to apply, but sometimes leaves strands which have to be removed by hand

Edited by RedVee

Had mine done yesterday morning, the guy doesn't normally do same day turnaround, but made an exception for me, I had it done whilst I chilled out in his workshop. I reckon I was there for two hours, so work done? 

Strings off, check / clean / polish frets, clean up the 'board, pick guard off, clean up underneath and check electronics, clean up with switch cleaner, check all the nuts are sufficiently tightened up on the machine heads and the pots, strip and clean the bridge. Had to whip the neck off to adjust the relief on it, checked / adjusted pickup balance, restring (I supplied the strings), set it up according to my playing technique and preference, disappeared for a cig whilst I gave it a good play to check I was happy.

To be honest, it plays better than it ever has before, a lot more care and attention was put into the job than I could imagine... and it cost me £50. Money well spent? Totally.