Why become a member? ×

Strap for heavy Thumb 5

jamusbass

Love my thumb bass, most playable bass I’ve owned, but it weighs a tonne! It’s draining to play on long gigs and is really hurting my back and shoulder. 

Ive tried the slinger harness, that was too much faffing around and pretty uncomfortable. Anyone else got the same issues, If so, any solutions out there?

Thanks,

jamie 

22 minutes ago, jamusbass said:

Love my thumb bass, most playable bass I’ve owned, but it weighs a tonne! It’s draining to play on long gigs and is really hurting my back and shoulder. 

Ive tried the slinger harness, that was too much faffing around and pretty uncomfortable. Anyone else got the same issues, If so, any solutions out there?

There are 3 solutions: play sitting down, fix the bass to a stand so that you don't have to hold it at all, or (the best) buy a lighter bass.

It doesn't matter how good this bass sounds, if you can't carry it for a whole gig then you have to sell it. The biggest/best strap in the world will just move the weight around, so that's not a solution.

One thing is certain, there are plenty of great sounding basses out there that weigh 4kg or less. You've just got to find the one that sounds right to you.

I had a shoulder and back problem for a bit couple of yrs ago and bought one of the Gruvgear Duo straps. Distributes the weight evenly across both shoulders. Worked a treat and once my shoulder and back were sorted i went back to using it as a standard strap and its the comfiest strap i've ever had.

Would have to agree with Chris tho that if its that heavy maybe you should look for something lighter. My Thumb NT4 is too heavy for me to wear for a full gig but won't sell cause its gorgeous to play but i only use on recording gigs when needed.

Dave

Thanks for the replies folks - certainly given me some food for thought. I bought a streamer Lx 5 in the hope it would replace the Thumb and still retain the same playability and tone, but no dice - my Thumb sounds/plays like no other bass I’ve played. 

My mate has a mid 2000 Thumb 5 and it seems so much lighter than mine (98). I might look into getting a later one. 

35 minutes ago, jamusbass said:

Thanks for the replies folks - certainly given me some food for thought. I bought a streamer Lx 5 in the hope it would replace the Thumb and still retain the same playability and tone, but no dice - my Thumb sounds/plays like no other bass I’ve played. 

My mate has a mid 2000 Thumb 5 and it seems so much lighter than mine (98). I might look into getting a later one. 

My NT4 is an 89 and its a heavy beast but nothing else sounds like it to me anyway.

Those Mega straps look good tho. Might try one of those for all my basses to be honest. I had a similar but cheaper make few yrs back and the plastic buckles snapped and it put me off them but they look a lot sturdier. Think i bought the cheap one from the Bass Centre or something like that.

Dave

Imo a heavy bass is a heavy bass. You might be able to shift the weight but your back muscles are still taking the weight in a certain part of your back no matter how wide the strap is.  That said more muscles in the back to hold the weight are better than less. The double (over both shoulders) strap makes sense to me. 

The Comfort Strapp is very good, as is the Duo strap thing. I once saw Michael Manring using two Comfort Strapps; one on each shoulder, achieving a similar result as the Duo.

Another idea is to build up your back muscles, maybe look at Yoga classes in your area. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Im not sure what strap button the other strap hangs on to.?

You can fit it few ways. Depending on your strap lok type both straps can fit a specific type (can't remember which one it is tho)

2nd way is to use a strap between the 2 strap bottons and attach the other strap to the cross strap hidden behind the bass.

3rd way is to do what Damien did and attach a 2nd strap lock reset into the bass body and when not in use the lok is flush with the bass.

4th way is to loop the other strap over the top horn

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1