Why become a member? ×

The Return of the Apres Gig Food Guide

SpondonBassed

Les's Apres Gig Food Guide for the Weekend Warrior

Following on from a long running theme of his on the Basschat Status Update feed, @Les  has given his kind permission for this to be extended as an item for the September Basschat Podcast.

Les would regularly report on what food outlets he and the band found open late at night on their way home from gigs in their patch*. This was a deeply altruistic thing to do. It would surely help other BC members to know where, on their way home from a gig, they could get food in an area that they might not have been familiar with otherwise.

Now we’d like to hear where Basschat members have been able to get fed on their way home from late night gigs everywhere and not just at “the centre of the known universe”.

Forget all other Internet food guides. We are talking word of mouth here. Personal experience is what we want. Although you can post a photo of your meal here we really want to gather information from locations around the UK that we can mention in the podcast. International recommendations are welcome too.

Include as a minimum these details please:

• Name of outlet
  • Location by county and street/road name with a post code or grid reference if possible
  • Day and time of day at which you got served.

We don't want to make this about how good or bad the establishment is but you should mention if there is anything special that you like or dislike about the place.

* Wigan being the centre of the known universe at the time.

• Like 1

• The Grecian
  • 2 Cromwell Road, St Andrews, Bristol, BS6 5AA
  • Hundreds of times, and it opens until 5am.

If you’re in Bristol the Grecian is an establishment that needs no introduction. A freshly cooked pizza and (proper) chips for just £5, kebabs and a whole host of cheap but delicious produce. Been going here 20 years, and the veggie options are brilliant too. Perfect for a post-gig bite.

Amazing!

http://www.greciankebabhouse.com/bristol/

• Thanks 2

On 29/07/2018 at 08:38, Burns-bass said:
  • The Grecian
  • 2 Cromwell Road, St Andrews, Bristol, BS6 5AA
  • Hundreds of times, and it opens until 5am.

If you’re in Bristol the Grecian is an establishment that needs no introduction. A freshly cooked pizza and (proper) chips for just £5, kebabs and a whole host of cheap but delicious produce. Been going here 20 years, and the veggie options are brilliant too. Perfect for a post-gig bite.

Amazing!

http://www.greciankebabhouse.com/bristol/

Yep if you're in the area, the pizza here is amazing quality and great value for money, I recommend a 14.

My recommendation

• Taka Taka, Magic Roll
  • 3 Queens Rd, Triangle S, Bristol BS8 1EZ
  • Open till 4am 

This place is also very good, great gyros and souvlaki wraps for under £4.

• Thanks 1

Plaza Fish and Chips

142 London Road, Leicester, LE2 1EB

Opens till 1am

I have wound up here many times on the way home from evenings out, and some on-street parking nearby if you've got a car full of kit from the gig. Good burgers, fish, salads etc.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zranyard said:

Taka Taka, Magic Roll

• 3 Queens Rd, Triangle S, Bristol BS8 1EZ
  • Open till 4am 

This place is also very good, great gyros and souvlaki wraps for under £4.

4 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Plaza Fish and Chips

142 London Road, Leicester, LE2 1EB

Opens till 1am

I have wound up here many times on the way home from evenings out, and some on-street parking nearby if you've got a car full of kit from the gig. Good burgers, fish, salads etc.

Cheers chaps.

8 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Yeah there's always the McDonalds at Red Hill Circle, Leicester, which is open till stupid o'clock. 

But that hardly classes as a bona fide late night food establishment. Well ok then, yes it does...

Thanks.  Even I'd eat at McWombles if there was no other choice.

We can't tell listeners that it's open 'till "stupid o'clock" however.  If you find out what time it is open 'till on weekends (and weekdays if you do week day gigs), resubmit your nomination for inclusion.  I can't shortlist it as is.

22 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Thanks.  Even I'd eat at McWombles if there was no other choice.

We can't tell listeners that it's open 'till "stupid o'clock" however.  If you find out what time it is open 'till on weekends (and weekdays if you do week day gigs), resubmit your nomination for inclusion.  I can't shortlist it as is.

Sure thing - "stupid o 'clock" is never the most accurate of descriptions I find....

Turns out its actually open 24 hours a day every day. Nice.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

We've heard about late eating in Bristol and Leicester so far.  I can't believe that these are the only two places outside of The Centre of the Known Universe (formerly known as Wigan) that offer food to the weekend warriors on their way home from a gig.

With the weekend upon us, please keep this feature in mind and submit your findings for inclusion in the September Podcast.

If you're ever in Anglesey, north Wales I can recommend the RoadKings Truckstop just outside Holyhead. It's a continental-style roadhouse and was built to serve the drivers going to and from the ferry to Ireland. Big, clean, good choice of well-cooked food, cheap accommodation too if you want it and open 24 hours a day.

http://www.rktruckstops.co.uk/locations/road-king-holyhead/

• Thanks 1