Why become a member? ×

35” to 33” scale conversion?

therealting

Its possible. You would have to move all the frets accordingly. It's not just moving the nut closer to the fret, as that would be totally wrong. 

The thing is even if done properly. It might still look odd around the headstock, nut area. 

But I hear there's maybe just maybe one guy crazy enough to help you. His name is unmentionable on here but he is a eBay legend. Converter of instruments extraordinaire. Haha

• Haha 2

Don’t bother with a new nut.

just install a taller fret where you want the nut to be. That will be your Zero Fret. Leave the existing nut where it is as a string guide. 

Then you you can always reverse the mod by putting a normal fret back in. 

Stickers for fret markers. 

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Don’t bother with a new nut.

just install a taller fret where you want the nut to be. That will be your Zero Fret. Leave the existing nut where it is as a string guide. 

Then you you can always reverse the mod by putting a normal fret back in. 

Stickers for fret markers. 

This is definitely less work than my suggestion :D  but I'm curious.. do you think with the zero fret being the same height as the bottom of each groove in the nut, that the nut would need to be sanded down a hair? Or maybe that there should be some kind of string tree to keep downward pressure?

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, blackrg said:

Thread reboot....did anyone try this?

Only if they were a complete idiot. This is such a 'Basschat' thread - I want to turn my 'something' into 'something it's clearly not'! installing a whammy bar on a Hofner or converting a jazz bass into a Rickenbacker.

Chowny have off the peg short scales.... there's a 33 Warwick for sale here currently. Bit more money will get you an Ibby Volo - lovely shortie 5 E-C. Loads of options.

On 16/08/2018 at 16:17, visog said:

Only if they were a complete idiot. This is such a 'Basschat' thread - I want to turn my 'something' into 'something it's clearly not'! installing a whammy bar on a Hofner or converting a jazz bass into a Rickenbacker.

Chowny have off the peg short scales.... there's a 33 Warwick for sale here currently. Bit more money will get you an Ibby Volo - lovely shortie 5 E-C. Loads of options.

There aren’t many affordable options for 32/33” six strings. I tried the Steve Lawson signature Elrick which is around £4k, it was the most comfortable 6 I’ve played, but I can’t swing £4k for a sixer that would only get occasional use.  There was an S Martyn on here for £2k.

I’m thinking of getting a narrow-spacing 6er and sticking a capo on it; and then maybe thinking about making it permanent if it works out.

I have lots of pretty fine instruments which I and those who hire me think I play pretty well. I’d hope I’m not an idiot, I’m just trying to be sensible with my money. 

34 minutes ago, therealting said:

I’m thinking of getting a narrow-spacing 6er and sticking a capo on it; and then maybe thinking about making it permanent if it works out.

Ibanez's Gerald Veasley (not the custom which is zillions) but the GVB36 has a famously narrow string spacing (14mm)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, visog said:

Ibanez's Gerald Veasley (not the custom which is zillions) but the GVB36 has a famously narrow string spacing (14mm)

I have seen that one, just a little narrow for me! I have a Conklin 8-string with 14mm spacing which is nice for chords and chord melody, but way too tight for normal playing.

I’m think an RBX JM or similar. The Ibanezes are nice but necks are too thin for me. 

Edited by therealting