Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Marcus Who?

Doc B

Finally got all the mods done to my Squier VM Jazz Bass: Wizard 64s, Bad Ass II, neck pup cover and lastly a lovely rosewood thumb rest handmade by BassChat's own Neephied. The pup cover and Bad Ass were also bought on here - cheers guys!

I should add that I got the mods fitted by Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow as I don't have suitable tools at the moment.

Yeah - for years I've played basses with either 2 big humbuckers like my Streamer Std II or with one pup in the sweet spot like my Status Groove and my old Stingray copy so I got used to anchoring my thumb there.

The VM Jazz is good to begin with but now it is actually the best sounding bass I've ever played.

Now I just need to find some other people to play with!

• 3 weeks later...

TBH - I never kept track of the exact costs but I think the total came in at about £450 but that included a full set-up with fret-stone. Would have been a lot less if I'd still had access to a work-bench and soldering iron.

I know that the total outlay could have got me a 'better' off the shelf or used instrument but I would still have had to change the PUPs and bridge to get what I wanted in the sound. The only other basses in the same style: maple neck/blocks and natural finish that I could find were the CIJ 70s Jazz (£699 Guitar Emporium) and one of J Shukers stock basses, also £699.

I haven't tried a MIA Std Jazz since I got this one but maybe I should for comparison.

It looks and sounds fantastic though, the tone is what I've been trying to get since I started playing 16 years ago. I love the action/playability too but unfortunately it just can't compare to my Streamer Std in that respect.

Edited by Doc B

[quote name='joegarcia' post='360271' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:31 PM']Looks lovely. After a similar Jazz myself at the moment and am looking very closely at a CIJ reissue, this is making me think twice.
What are the Wizards like? Any samples at all?
Personally I'd finish it off with some Jazz knobs but thats just me.[/quote]

Cheers Joe, I don't have any clips of the Wizards yet - I'm still in a period of change over with my home recording set up. The sound of the VM is now very strong and glassy as the 64s have a toppier, more vintage sound that the 84s (so the Wizards told me). This works very well for the chords and drones I like to play. Most other people seem to buy Wizard 84s which are darker and more powerful. The stock Duncan Design pups are very good too.

I'm actually thinking of removing the pup cover though as it gets in the way - looks great though! I prefer the metal knobs to the black plastic Jazz ones myself.

I'd love one of the CIJ reissues but the Squier does me fine.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='360271' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:31 PM']Personally I'd finish it off with some Jazz knobs but thats just me.[/quote]

+1 i'm gonna get some for the VMJ i bought off gafbass just to complete the look. these basses really are as good as everyone says! well impressed. trouble is its got me thinking of further mods (mine came with a badass) and i'm also looking at getting the VMP and modding that too! bank balance permitting of course :)

be interested to hear the difference to yours with the new pups to see if its worth looking into a pup upgrade on mine, though as you said Doc B, the duncan design pups sound really good!

[quote name='Doc B' post='365458' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:34 PM']I'm actually thinking of removing the pup cover though as it gets in the way - looks great though! I prefer the metal knobs to the black plastic Jazz ones myself.[/quote]

Me too - pup covers do get in the way , no question, so why have something attached that can hinder your playing? You can keep it in the case for 'photo' days!!

Me too( 2) Don;t listen to the black placcy knob fans - yours look far better.