Why become a member? ×

Bass through guitar amp?

My nephew has got himself a squire bronco bass to learn on, and he only has a small 15w guitar combo to practice in his bedroom. Seeing as the bronco is stock (with a guitar pup) and he’s playing at very low volume, would the amp (or speaker to be precise) be ok with the low end? Or does he need a small bass amp?

For many years the only amp I had was a Carlsbro Wasp 10W guitar practice amp. Every electric instrument I had went through it - guitar, bass, synthesiser. In each case I got to annoying the parents/neighbours volume way before I had anything loud enough to damage either the amp or speaker. I even used to put the bass through a fuzz box before applying the tremolo circuit on the amp for synth-like effects.

Sound is very much subjective. My little amp was brilliant for post-punk bass lines - clean clear and melodic. This was the bass sound I used on all my band's demos of the time including the one that got CBS records interested in signing us. 

Of course if the OP's nephew is into something with more extreme bass he might not be so happy, but in my case my amp got me started and was a definite step up sound-wise from playing the bass with no amp at all.

• Like 1