Why become a member? ×

Help needed for strings for my new 32" scale 5er

dyerseve

Do I've just picked up a beautiful new bass and it's a 5 string with a scale length of 32". It's currently strung E-C but my other 5s are B-G so that is how I want to string this too. 

Problem is I can't seem to find any 5 string short scale sets. I usually use daddario EXL170-5 so light gauge roundwounds that have a bright tone

Please help me with any recommendations 

Thanks

Btw, just to confirm scale length is from the nut to the saddle on the bridge? I read elsewhere it is nut to ball end anchor on the bridge...?

It's 32" from the G string saddle to the nut but 34" from the ball end anchor..

Edited by dyerseve

1 hour ago, dyerseve said:

Btw, just to confirm scale length is from the nut to the saddle on the bridge? I read elsewhere it is nut to ball end anchor on the bridge...?

It's 32" from the G string saddle to the nut but 34" from the ball end anchor..

Yes, it's nut to the saddle, the length of string that vibrates. 'Elsewhere' is wrong.

32" is medium scale.

2 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Newtone. 

They do custom lengths and windings. I believe Alan at ACG uses them and they do short scale basses so must be good! 

Thanks, I will check these out

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Yes, it's nut to the saddle, the length of string that vibrates. 'Elsewhere' is wrong.

32" is medium scale.

Bit worrying considering it was actually the stringsdirect.co.uk website:

WHAT IS SCALE LENGTH?

Scale length is the length from the anchor of the string (ball-end or loop-end) to where it crosses the top nut of the instrument (NOT the distance from the bridge to the nut, which is known as Speaking Length).

Acoustic/Electric Guitars - Scale length is usually only important for bass guitar, as electric and acoustic guitar strings are over-wound in length, and generally come with more than enough winding to accommodate most 6-Strings. Naturally there are a few exceptions, but if unsure you are more than welcome to contact us, as we are always happy to help.

Bass Guitars - Basses are different, as scale length is VERY important. This is because the lower strings can be too thick to wind, and need to taper in size before they can pass through the machine head. Basses come in a few different scale lengths, and as a result you must always be sure which strings you need before you purchase them. The vast majority of basses are of a standard length, which is known as 'Long-Scale', but you can also have 'Short', 'Medium', and 'Super', or 'Extra Long-Scale' variations. Manufacturers differ slightly in how they class their instruments' scale-lengths, but a good general guide can be found below:

- Short Scale – 30" (76 cm) or shorter

- Medium Scale – 32'' (81 cm)

- Long (or Standard) Scale – 34" (86 cm) for a 4-string and 35" (89 cm) for a 5-string

- Super (or Extra) Long Scale – 36" (91 cm) 

*Remember that, to find scale-length you must measure from the ball-end of the string, NOTthe point where it sits on the bridge, for an accurate measurement. (An easy way of measuring is to mark your old strings with a permanent marker at the nut before you remove them. Then snip them ABOVE the nut, just below the machine heads, and once removed it is much easier to measure from the ball-end to the marking).

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Just chop regular scale strings down. Bend the string 90 degrees just before the bit you snip.

Thanks but tried that and didn't go well with the B string snapping on the machine head as the non tapered part is just too thick...

5 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

Thanks but tried that and didn't go well with the B string snapping on the machine head as the non tapered part is just too thick...

Ah I see. Hm yes I do this but the bass is headless so the string clamp isn't affected. I'll get my coat 😎

After spending some time researching string choices for my Hofner Club it would appear that a lot of string manufacturer websites refer to scale length measured from nut to anchor point. The length I'd always called the scale length (nut to bridge) they refer to as the speaking length. 

Confusing.