Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1983 Experts needed

Prosebass

I'm sure others will chime in, but at the very minimum the tuners and string guide on that bass are not Fender. They're Korean, and fairly recent. I'm also not sure about the neck itself, the headstock looks the wrong shape. I'm not that well versed about 80's Fenders, so maybe other more experienced people could add something.

I don't think that's an '83 - I'm not sure it's fender.

Fender P's abandonded that routing in about 73 and the route looks way too big around the pickups. The tuners are much later and production at Corona didn't start until '87 (I think). There should be a sticker matching the serial on the scratchplate or in the pocket, and those stamps just look far to fresh and over inked.

I'm not at all up on the reissues they did in 83, but this doesn't look like a reissue to me.

From memory the 83 would have been been a US Standard P Bass which would have had the revised tuners,

See this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-Fender-Precision-Bass-Tuners-Near-Mint-P-Bass_W0QQitemZ230308263173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item230308263173&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Link[/url]

the pick up covers were white and I do not remember seeing an option for that colour. The pickguard I would say is not original either.

Once I have got back to my library at home I can confirm much more detail later if you need it.

I happen to have a 83 P bass in White!

Edited by sixshooter

Keep them coming chaps....

To be honest it didn't look right as soon as I saw it.
Would I be right in thinking Fender didn't change their screw positions for the scratch plates ?
The tuners and string tree look wrong...and the string tree looks too far down the headstock ?

The pup has a crackle finish to it
Action, sound and playability are superb and it certainly "feels" right.
If it is a "copy" then the above aspects are spot on.

Another question ......is the Headstock logo the correct one ? It is at least under the finish and not placed on top.

I think the case is genuine :)

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='sixshooter' post='337457' date='Nov 26 2008, 05:02 PM']From memory the 83 would have been been a US Standard P Bass which would have had the revised tuners,

See this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-Fender-Precision-Bass-Tuners-Near-Mint-P-Bass_W0QQitemZ230308263173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item230308263173&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Link[/url]

the pick up covers were white and I do not remember seeing an option for that colour. The pickguard I would say is not original either.

Once I have got back to my library at home I can confirm much more detail later if you need it.

I happen to have a 83 P bass in White![/quote]

Thanks that would be appreciated as I would like to get to the bottom of this basses origins.
I suspect someone has spent quite a while faking this bass (even down to the stamps) or maybe some bits are Fender and it has been refinished ?
Certainly interesting
For the record I picked it up at a local household auction house this morning. Think I will be back there next week... :)

Close-ups of truss-rod access and fingerboard wood.

[attachment=16432:truss01.jpg]
[attachment=16433:truss02.jpg]

Thanks for all the info so far, whether any of it turns out to be Fender will be interesting.
It is superbly finished and has a real "piano" tone to it. The neck is as nice as any I have seen on a Precision.

Apart from the fact that the finish on the neck is so much heavier than on my 83- and looks a little suspicious, as does the actual shape of the headstock: there should be no transition between touchboard and neck- the board is not applied; the tuning gear and string tree are wrong; the string tree is out of position- it should be more in line with the A string tuning post; the truss rod access is wrong- should be wider and narrower, and edged with dark wood/wood stain; the Fender decal may be right- although mine is black, with a silver outline- but it’s in the wrong position- it’s too close to the edge- as is the rest of the type- there should be a good 5mm between the bottom of the type and the edge; the neck plate is wrong- Fender should be raked/angled; the scratchplate is missing a few screws- mine has 14 around the edge and one random one near the pickups; and the volume and tone pots look wrong.

As for mine: solid colour, so can’t comment on how many pieces of wood for the body; has a one-piece white scratchplate; white pickup covers; and as it has never been taken apart I’m loathed to do that to check the routings- but if absolutely needed, I would.

Saying all that, if it sounds good, does anything else really matter? Okay, issues of passing off aside if it was sold as "Fender".

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Prosebass' post='337545' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:24 PM']Close-ups of truss-rod access and fingerboard wood.

Thanks for all the info so far, whether any of it turns out to be Fender will be interesting.
It is superbly finished and has a real "piano" tone to it. The neck is as nice as any I have seen on a Precision.[/quote]

I had an 83. These are the thing I noticed.

Tuners are incorrect - with this logo they should be covered gear tuners
String tree incorrect type and placement
Neck - truss rod adjustment should have a dark surround
Body - should have 14 holes for the single ply pickguard
Pickups - defintely not Fender and should have white covers anyway
Neck plate - should not have Fender Corona, just Fender
Colour - should be ivory, black, sienna burst (mine was) or brown burst

Apart from that, looks fine.

Steve

Just checked the library and I think I can saftely say that very little on this bass is Fender!

The case and the neck plate, (although they are both from much later than 83). The logo on the headstock is correct for the year, but it would unlikely to be from Fender unless it was pinched from them.

Still and nice looking bass, and if it sounds good even better!

If I get chance I will post a picture of my 83 bass later.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='337529' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:05 PM']Thanks that would be appreciated as I would like to get to the bottom of this basses origins.
I suspect someone has spent quite a while faking this bass (even down to the stamps) or maybe some bits are Fender and it has been refinished ?
Certainly interesting
For the record I picked it up at a local household auction house this morning. Think I will be back there next week... :)[/quote]

Hi Paul
I recently viewed a 'Fender Custom Shop' bass. I examined the neck pocket and it had no identifying marks, and I told the seller so. Several weeks later the same bass appeared on ebay WITH a very good copy of a Fender tech's signature and some dates stamps in the very same neck pocket. There's a lot of money in it if you get it right
Chris
PS if it plays good and sounds good and the price is tight, who cares who made it

[quote name='Beedster' post='337642' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:57 PM']Hi Paul
I recently viewed a 'Fender Custom Shop' bass. I examined the neck pocket and it had no identifying marks, and I told the seller so. Several weeks later the same bass appeared on ebay WITH a very good copy of a Fender tech's signature and some dates stamps in the very same neck pocket. There's a lot of money in it if you get it right
Chris
PS if it plays good and sounds good and the price is tight, who cares who made it[/quote]

To the uninformed this bass could easily have been passed off as an Fender. Credit to the auction house that they described as a "Fender Replica" and put a disclaimer sticker on the case and bass.
I must admit I was taken aback with it when I opened the case but after a quick look realised that it was indeed a replica / forgery...
I would love to know the makers of the neck as they can make necks for me if this is typical of their handy work. It is without doubt a stunning neck and lovely to play. The action at the 12th is around 2mm now I have given it a bit of a fettle and is perfectly straight along its length.
Sound wise it is also as good as the genuine article. And as the "Beedster" says [quote]if it plays good and sounds good and the price is tight, who cares who made it[/quote]

I have some Tuners off a Geddy Lee model thanks to rayfw that would look good on it and maybe a mahogany body, some of my Artec pups , a badass bridge and Gold anodised scratch-plate.....

Watch this space..........

Thanks so much to everyone who inputted to this thread, I'm sure all who have read it are a little more knowledgeable with their Fender Model History.
It just goes to show what a minefield Fenders can be , even I was scratching my head with a "is it ? no it can't be ? maybe some of it is ? ah well.....

cheers...Paul

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Muppet' post='337635' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:51 PM']I had an 83. These are the thing I noticed.

Tuners are incorrect - with this logo they should be covered gear tuners
String tree incorrect type and placement
Neck - truss rod adjustment should have a dark surround
Body - should have 14 holes for the single ply pickguard
Pickups - defintely not Fender and should have white covers anyway
Neck plate - should not have Fender Corona, just Fender
Colour - should be ivory, black, sienna burst (mine was) or brown burst

Apart from that, looks fine.

Steve[/quote]

Thanks.....

:) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Prosebass' post='337692' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:47 PM']I would love to know the makers of the neck as they can make necks for me if this is typical of their handy work. It is without doubt a stunning neck and lovely to play. The action at the 12th is around 2mm now I have given it a bit of a fettle and is perfectly straight along its length.[/quote]

I don't know if this will help, and I didn't want to say it above for fear of offending (I got the idea you thought this may've actually been a Fender), but my initial impression of the neck was that it might be an SX neck. Something about the headstock shape and the colouration reminds me of their goods.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='338040' date='Nov 27 2008, 07:56 AM']I don't know if this will help, and I didn't want to say it above for fear of offending (I got the idea you thought this may've actually been a Fender), but my initial impression of the neck was that it might be an SX neck. Something about the headstock shape and the colouration reminds me of their goods.[/quote]

I did get that "oh my god what have I stumbled across" feeling when I opened the case, but a quick look at tuners, pups and scratch-plate certainly made me think that it was a replica but I was not sure if the neck may have started as a Fender item.
I am sure it is not an SX as the quality is better and the headstock shape is different (SX is pointy on the right side and not rounded) but thanks for the suggestion.

I will probably improve the bass a little (wiring, shielding and maybe the bridge) then it will be up for sale.

And don't worry about "offending" tell it as it is, the truth will always out, as the saying goes..... :)

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='338204' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:58 AM']I did get that "oh my god what have I stumbled across" feeling when I opened the case, but a quick look at tuners, pups and scratch-plate certainly made me think that it was a replica but I was not sure if the neck may have started as a Fender item.
I am sure it is not an SX as the quality is better and the headstock shape is different (SX is pointy on the right side and not rounded) but thanks for the suggestion.

I will probably improve the bass a little (wiring, shielding and maybe the bridge) then it will be up for sale.[/quote]

Fair enough. It's difficult to judge from internet photos, and as I said, I was mainly basing my though on the colour, which is probably distorted anyway.

Regardless, if it's a nice bass and the cost was low, sounds like you scored well!

[quote name='Prosebass' post='338204' date='Nov 27 2008, 11:58 AM']And don't worry about "offending" tell it as it is, the truth will always out, as the saying goes..... :)[/quote]

I just hate to be the guy that kills the dream!!! :huh: You see stuff like this over and over on these bass forums, some kid comes on thinking he's got the deal of the century, only to have his bubble burst when he finds out that Fender never made a Stratocaster bass in 1962, or that James Jamerson's bass said "Funk Brothers", not "You Funked Me Over", or that the 1945 Jazz Bass prototype he just bought might possibly be a fraud!!! :huh: I like to help guys out with my knowledge (limited as it is), but I hate killing someone's excitement about an instrument.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='338510' date='Nov 27 2008, 03:09 PM']I just hate to be the guy that kills the dream!!! :huh: You see stuff like this over and over on these bass forums, some kid comes on thinking he's got the deal of the century, only to have his bubble burst when he finds out that Fender never made a Stratocaster bass in 1962, or that James Jamerson's bass said "Funk Brothers", not "You Funked Me Over", or that the 1945 Jazz Bass prototype he just bought might possibly be a fraud!!! :huh: I like to help guys out with my knowledge (limited as it is), but I hate killing someone's excitement about an instrument.[/quote]

You've got me thinking now ! could that be a 1950 Precision prototype under the sawdust in my shed ?????? :)

Don't worry I was under no illusion that it was an 83 Precision , but the neck threw me a little.
Thanks for your help on the matter.
I have a set of Geddy Lee tuners I will fit on it / a Fender string tree and a Badass maybe, and then it will be up for sale.

Edited by Prosebass

weird how it's got a skunk stripe on the back of the neck AND a separate maple fingerboard-
on a real Fender if it had a separate maple fingerboard there'd be no stripe- as the trussrod would be routed from the front.

also the bridge has 2 mounting screws at the front of the plate as well as the Fender-style 5 at the back.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='339222' date='Nov 28 2008, 08:43 AM']I notice that you're looking for 1983 experts, but I doubt if more than 15 or so have responded to this thread.

Think you're going to struggle with the other 1968 ...[/quote]

Groan! :) :huh:

Paul - I can't think of too many copies that have come in a blonde finish like that. I think Tokia have done them, but it might help to narrow things down a bit.