Left leaderboard
therealting

SOLD: MTD Grendel Fretless 5-string (Czech “Stadium” model for The Bass Centre... none more black!) NOW £375
£450

Beautiful Michael Tobias-designed 5-string fretless, crafted in the Czech Republic. Sold as the “Stadium” model for the Bass Centre. These are very nicely made, and both play and sound great.

I would say condition is pretty good, there are playing marks (and gloss black is pretty unforgiving of fingerprints etc).

- I think it’s a poplar body. Lovely sculpted shape including a beautiful heel contour

- maple neck with unlined 2-octave wenge fingerboard and matching headstock facing

- black hardware

- Schaller tuners, Hipshot bridge

- 34” scale, 18.5mm spacing

- Bartolini J pickups

- Bartolini 2-band electronics, plus three-way mid switch (boost / flat / cut). One of the knobs appears to be missing a cap.

- currently strung with Dunlop flatwounds

- setup and custom ebony ramp by Martin Petersen at The Bass Gallery, plenty of mwah!

This is a lightweight bass (3.9kg) and balances very well on a strap.

Little demo here, please forgive the playing!  Pickup blend centered, EQ flat, mid boost off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7aar3tct5gfqu3/MTD Grendel Demo.mp3?dl=0

Collection preferred from London SE3.

I have some other stuff for sale here, would certainly be tempted by upward trades for more than one item.

0EC27E59-8C5B-4913-B149-DF56656371D2.jpeg

D81EAB13-682E-43DF-AD95-579DE21696B3.jpeg

788DBBE0-B727-4F44-A292-318B38CD393E.jpeg

407870E6-24FC-44B7-A26B-37866D6AB4D7.jpeg

D3EAAF56-3771-4EA4-A09E-022F5D043124.jpeg

23F509FD-83E7-40BE-8DEF-7C64AB9AC116.jpeg

9DB43833-CA6B-4B58-A387-4625FC8F5D81.jpeg

Edited by therealting
  • Like 2

Bump. Interesting trades considered, particularly a Noble preamp or a medium scale Precision... I have a few things listed so could combine for the right trade.

Edited by therealting

Great basses these, the bartolinis sound superb- great for a modern 'jazz bass' sound.

Please do feel free to try me with offers if at all interested. 

On 09/06/2018 at 11:48, Skinner said:

Great basses these, the bartolinis sound superb- great for a modern 'jazz bass' sound.

Agreed!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bassbloke said:

Hi.  Is the ramp removable and has it affected bass in any way? 

@bassbloke Ramp is actually currently off the bass. Has not affected the bass at all. 

Edited by therealting

Could you please tell me the weight, does it have any markings on the neck as I have yet to play a fretless bass

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jmlbasses
      This bass comes from a luthier shop in Madrid. Only tried by some customers, so we're talking about condition ex-demo at the price of used.
      I'm looking for  870 GBP or 990€ 

4 strings
      Alder body (2 pieces)
      Ebony Top - Special Selection
      Double binding maple and ebony
      Maple neck - Special Selection
      Carbon fiber reinforcements
      Ebony fingerboard
      Bone nut
      Nordstrand pills
      HipShot fittings
      Mirror Finish Nitro
      Weight 3,930Kg
      Gig Bag semi-rigid included
      More info:
      http://www.guitarbassluthier.com/gb-custom-built-todobajos-ebano

• By Brams77
      Up for sale, sadly for me because I have a very busy job and can't get much time into playing anymore.
      This I would rate as one of the of not the best 5 stringers I have owned, and I've owned about all of the top shelve beautique brands at some point. Craftmanship is really OCD/top notch, very unique neckshape very shallow and comfortable. I would say the sound is in between a Fodera and MTD. Huge B string, very even across the board, a real pro studio grade instrument.
      The bass is in great condition as shown in the pics.

Body Alder - Neck 3 piece maple + reinforced bars - Fret board macassar ebony - Top Myrtle - Pickups Seymour Duncans - EQ Duncan 3 band - Scale 35' - String spacing 19mm - Weight 3,9 kg - Original soft case included
      No trades please I'm trying to slim it down as I dont have the rime anymore

• By rockdog
      Price drop to £1850 - grab a bargain.
      I bought this last year from Goldbass via The Gallery. I really hoped my fat little fingers would get on with the beautifully shallow neck profile but sadly I am not getting the best from it.
      Martin dates it at early 2000's and it is in amazing condition for a 15+ year old bass. One very small dent on the bottom of the front face - photo attached. Other than that it is immaculate.
      Incredible build quality. Martin and John have an enviable ( and justified ) reputation and this one is a beaut.
      Specs:
      Madrone Burl front and back, and matching peghead. 
      Ash wings
      Flame maple / Wenge 7 piece neck
      Ebony board lined with Mahogany ( very subtle ), blue LED's on the fret lines
      Bartolini MM pup with series / parallel switch
      ABM piezo bridge with piezo preamp ( internal controls ) to balance output with mag pup - set and forget.
      Schack 18v preamp with internal dips for BMT centres / boost, volume and blend. Tone controls work on both mag and piezo.
      Gotoh tuners, dunlop strap locks. Strung with Daddario chromes.
      Weight on my scales just over 8lbs
      Hiscox hard case.
      Let me know if you need any more info.
      Would trade for a Rob Allen 4 string fretless or other quality 4 string fretless - Sei, GB, Shuker, ACG, Sadowsky, Lull etc
      Thanks for looking.

• By Dirty Soul
      Selling my Corvette unlined Fretless 5. 
      Turns out I’m not as good at fretless playing as I imagined so this just isn’t getting used. A real shame but I have my eye on something else. 

Made in Germany in 2008. Bubinga body, Ovangkol neck with ebony fingerboard, with minimal markings. 
      Natural oil finish and carefully treated weekly with the Warwick wax. (Included in sale)
      Passive electronics with volume, pick-up blend and tone controls. I was very surprised by the variety of sounds that come out of those controls! MEC dynamic correction pups.

Currently strung with Rotosound 45-130 flatwounds. 
      Weight is 6kg.
      Includes Warwick Rockbag, surface finishing wax and truss rod tool. 

Open to reasonable offers.

Buyer to collect from Warrington, Cheshire or can post at buyers expense.