Why become a member? ×

Sovtek Big Muff Vs EHX Russian Big Muff

larrikin

One sounds amazing, one sounds terrible :)

I used to have a green sovtek, but sold it £160. One went on ebay last week for £72. As it turns out, I built a clone of a green sovtek from www.generalguitargadgets.com and it sounds the same as the £160 one, but cost me about £40 - something to think about if you can solder

It also matters what kind of black russian muff you buy - the later ones were built to green specs, supposedly.

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571634"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571634[/url]

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='dangerboy' post='337189' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:00 PM']It also matters what kind of black russian muff you buy - the later ones were built to green specs, supposedly.

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571634"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571634[/url][/quote]
maybe 'built to green specs', but sure dont sound like one!

the civil war muff is the best russian muff by far IMO, iv owned two, sold for £160 and £180, brilliant pedals, just couldnt afford to keep either of them unfortunatly. Avoid the black, keep n eye out for the green, or better still look for a zoom ultra fuzz, not got the low end of the civil war or even the green, but still very muffy.

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339865' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:00 PM']maybe 'built to green specs', but sure dont sound like one![/quote]

Just out of interest, BMK, have you tried black muffs from every year of manufacture? I only ask because the spec has changed fairly regularly, as far as I can tell, and only the ones made in the last year or two before they stopped are green spec.

And did you blind ABX them against a green one?

[quote name='dangerboy' post='340130' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:17 PM']Just out of interest, BMK, have you tried black muffs from every year of manufacture? I only ask because the spec has changed fairly regularly, as far as I can tell, and only the ones made in the last year or two before they stopped are green spec.

And did you blind ABX them against a green one?[/quote]
i have ab'd a 2006 (i think, ebay buy) black russian muff with a civil war muff (very similar to the green muff) and they were not in the same league, the black sounded basicallly cheap and quite brittle in comparison. I downgraded from the civil war to the black to get a bit of cash, and really regretted it. It was also very light and small in comparison which suprised me

Edited by BassManKev

I've owned two black russian muffs, and one Sovtek Green muff(which i sold to my drummer and used last night). Personally i think the black russians that i've tried are great, they've been the most modern designs (not too sure of the spec, but they dont have the metal 'railings' of some of the older models), with the tone down they hold the bass and are fat and furry. The green sovtek sounds excellent too, never A/B'd them tho. The Green one seem'd to be bassier AND more aggressive, and even on low gain settings it sounds wonderful to me.

however i remember my impressions of the black russians differed a bit bettween the two. My first seemed bassier (i only sold it coz i got the Green muff) while the second seemed less impressive to me, although physically they were the same (except the second one was wired backwards)

oh and for what its worth, although EXH imply that the Bass Big Muff is based on the Green Sovtek Muff, when i asked whether it was i received an email telling me that due to the rarity of Green Muffs, they actually based it on a black one as they didnt have any green ones to compare it with.

Also, as a note, if you do get a black or especially the green muff, be prepared to re-solder the battery clip - its an old pedal and it might need doing.

oh yeah, EHX's quality control is famously bad, apparently Carlos Santana tried a pile of like 100 big muffs before he found the one he liked, so just because its got muff on it, doesnt mean its gonna be the best muff ever, Although the consensus is that the Green Sovteks are all the 'best' and the most bass-friendly.

thats my 2-cents