Why become a member? ×

Scale lenght

Long scale, 34” because I’m a 17 stone 6’2”’ lump and it feels right. I like the idea of short scale basses but they look and feel wrong on me. 

I used to have Rockinbetter 4003 copy which was a bit of a stretch for me; I always assumed it was a 35” scale and was surprised to discover that it wasn’t when I measured it.

11 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Long scale, 34” because I’m a 17 stone 6’2”’ lump and it feels right. I like the idea of short scale basses but they look and feel wrong on me. 

I used to have Rockinbetter 4003 copy which was a bit of a stretch for me; I always assumed it was a 35” scale and was surprised to discover that it wasn’t when I measured it.

I get that, but from the other perspective. I am 5'5" tall and weigh 59 KG so a 34" scale looks like I am a child playing an adults instrument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

I get that, but from the other perspective. I am 5'5" tall and weigh 59 KG so a 34" scale looks like I am a child playing an adults instrument.

well tell that to john patitucci ! is pretty small , might be even smaller than you ......

also john myung is under 5'5 . 

Victor wooten is not  that big either 

1 hour ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

well tell that to john patitucci ! is pretty small , might be even smaller than you ......

also john myung is under 5'5 . 

Victor wooten is not  that big either 

They are all good musicians but the fact remains, basses are big instruments, and smaller people make them look even bigger. I was not saying its wrong, I was pointing out that 34" is too big for me personally. :D

17 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

According to my "back of an envelope" calculation. The difference between 34" and 35" is (on average) slightly less than 1mm between frets. Can anybody even notice that?

The difference is bigger the closer to the nut you get. If I back to back my two fretted 5-strings with 34" and 35" scale it is noticeable but only takes a short time to adjust. 

I have 34" and 35" basses.

While I can see some might feel more comfortable on a different sized bass, I find there is no practical difference when playing either of these scales. I bought my basses for various reasons, mainly the tone, so scale length didn't enter into it. If I want to bring the nut closer I just alter the angle I'm holding the bass.

Don't be put off when looking for a new bass, just play an instrument and see what you think of it. Then find out what the scale length is.

If you need or prefer a 30" bass then ignore this post, we inhabit different bass worlds.

5 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Ah.  The man behind the spider exercise.  Cruel but character forming.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1