Why become a member? ×

Inexpensive wireless headphones without severe compression

tauzero

I'd quite like to use wireless headphones at home to practice with, to save me getting tangled up with the lead, and also because my Tascam GB10 doesn't seem to have quite enough oomph to power my wired Sennheiser phones (can't remember which model offhand). I do have a Sennheiser RS120 but that compresses hugely, so if I start playing a little way into a track, the volume drops away quite spectacularly. I can overcome the volume situation with the wired phones by sending the signal through the hi-fi amp I have nearby, but that rather fixes me in place and removes one of the advantages of the GB10 over just playing a track on the PC and running the audio plus the bass through a mixer.

So, does anyone know of any wireless phones that don't compress, aren't Bluetooth, and sound reasonable? I was wondering about Sennheisers that use Kleer digital technology, that Sennheiser boast is compression-free, but I don't know if that's entirely true. There are various phones from £35 or so upwards - has here anyone used any of these cheaper ones, and are they any good?

Are there any non-Bluetooth wireless headphones?

They would have to be either WiFi or analogue. IMO analogue consumer wireless always needs companding to get the signal to noise ratio down to acceptable levels. This is going to play havoc when listening to multiple sources.

Edited by BigRedX

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Are there any non-Bluetooth wireless headphones?

They would have to be either WiFi or analogue. IMO analogue consumer wireless always needs companding to get the signal to noise ratio down to acceptable levels. This is going to play havoc when listening to multiple sources.

Plenty of non-Bluetooth wireless headphones. The ones I have are analogue, there's also digital ones (eg Sennheiser RS160) but the latency could well be an issue. The sound isn't being companded, it's just being comped and the panded bit is left out.

The disadvantage of wired (other than the wires, which I can live with) is that the Tascam GB10 doesn't drive the headphones I've got quite loud enough. I'm not after hearing-damaging teenager levels of volume. May just need to find more sensitive headphones.