Why become a member? ×

Noise Cancelling Headphones

lojo

Can anyone recemmond a good pair of over ears noise cancelling headphones , most seem to be wireless but I'm happy with cords , and in fact even if they are wireless would like a cord option 

Seems like a minefield out there so would welcome any bass chaters reviews 

£200 budget , unless that is not realistic for decent music quality and good noise cancelling in both directions 

thanks for any help 

AFAIK all wireless headphones come with a cord in case the battery runs out.

What's the necessity for noise cancelling? Won't normal closed back headphones do? When are you mainly going to be using them?

If you can stretch the budget a bit I’d definitely suggest giving the Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones a listen.

I tried them against Sony WH1000, Senheisser PXC 550 and the ever present Bose Quiet Comfort sets.

I much preferred the B&Ws over the others - seemed to offer an airier and more open sound, with warm (not overbearing or muddy) bass and real clarity in the highs.

I’m a big fan of B&W in any event - I’ve a set of 685 S2 speakers at home for use with the HiFi - and can’t recommend them highly enough.

That said, I know it sounds obvious, but headphones really are a personal thing so you’re always best checking them out using music that you’d normally listen to and taking your time doing so.

Good luck!

Thanks all and to answer why I'd like noise cancelling over std is so I can be in the same room as others and the music won't annoy them plus for me I don't hear background noise 

spending a lot of time lying down and in and out of hospital visits and stays 

Closed backs work fine in the situation you’re describing.

Check out the reviews on amazon. There’s also a few websites like this dedicated to headphones that have reviews.

I’ve got beyerdynamic dt770 Pro, they’re closed back and silent when they on my head. I wear them literally everywhere, and I’ve sat many times in quiet coaches on trains with them on, with no complaints.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0016MNAAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by ambient

A fellow sound techy I work with has a set of the Bose ones (not for anything work related, just for tuning the rest of us out on long van drives!) and I couldn't believe how well they blocked out background noise. Just switching them on without any music playing was instantly near-silence, I was well impressed. 

Both me and my GF have the Bose QC35's, and the noise cancelling is the best out there. Not cheap, but well worth it if noise cancelling is top priority. I walk to and from work, through central London with mine on and they block out most of the world. Could easily listen to classical or (god forbid) Jazz while walking next to the main roads. Almost 20 hours battery time. I charge mine up one a month.

Just so we are clear, the active noise cancelling is for the listener only, they dont block any extra sound getting out (over what a pair of closed back headphones normally do). So in a quiet room others might hear the music, but at least you wont hear them shouting to turn it down lol.

The Bose QCs apparently have the best sound cancelling, if not the absolute best music reproduction. One thing with cordless ones is that they have to be switched off on take off and landing for some airlines, whereas most others now will allow the corded ones to be used. I also have the Sennheiser Momentum II and the are superb, but are cordless, hence the discovered airline issue.

Therefore I just bought a second set of the just discontinued QC25s from Amazon for £180 and highly recommend  those, if you can find them. My wife and I use them all the time for flying. Be sure to pick the ones for your 'phone, however (Samsung / Apple etc) if  you want the full capability of the corded remote.

When at home the Sennheiser are my go to, but they are £ 300ish.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1