Why become a member? ×

Plug in or amp effects. How to?

BassLine4Jesus

So, I am new to the whole world of Bass playing and I am liking it. I'm not all that new to recording though but I do want to know what bass players think is best...plug ins. By plug ins I mean software that makes the bass sound "juicier" into the computer for recording. Or is there another route..like using effect boxes that plug into the Audio interface? This is where it gets a bit hazy to me. Anyone out there??  

And I really am a little tired of people saying there is no better route its up to the you response... When all is said and done...there actually might be a better way. We might have to put our opinions away and face what could be a single truth.  I don't mean to sound stingy. I'm really not. 

Using plug-ins for tone is at the mercy of latency, as plug-ins add latency to the round trip from bass to monitors via the DAW. Thunderbolt interfaces help as do hardware accelerated systems like Universal Audios UAD2 systems.

I use both approaches, a Sansamp pre or a Pod XT Pro into the DAW, with bass DI’d to a separate track with plug-ins, then you can use plug-ins during the mix as well to achieve the mix tone you’re looking for.

I'll mostly record the bass 'dry', and add any fx afterwards, mostly as Vst  software, but occasionally 're-amping' through hardware. As a minimalist, though, I use little in the way of fx anyway. I have no latency issues, as what I'm hearing is the end result, not the 'real time' whilst playing.
The 'right' way..? There are as many 'right' ways as bassists and songs to record, so, yes, you do have to try things out for yourself, make some mistakes and decide what, for the track you're doing, is the result you want. There is no 'magic bullet', no miracle. Try any and all methods and see which please you the most, is my advice.

Edited by Dad3353

As Wintermute says, latency can be a problem, this not only depends on interface but also on amount of fx. 

The guitarist in one of my bands uses ampsims on a laptop with no noticeable latency, but I've found that with about 8 fx there is enough for it to be a problem.

So live I use a ridiculously oversized pedal board...

If you're looking to play around without investing a lot of cash (initially) there is a lot of free software around at the moment. I've recently rediscovered Guitarix as a surprisingly good amp sim. Unfortunately, the latency is the kicker, as several have already said - with my current setup, it's too much to turn my computer into a replacement for a practice amp. But a combination of dialling in a satisfying sound, then recording without sending the Guitarix signal back out to the monitor, allows me to get a passable bass amp sound for laying down demos etc. 

When I record i put the bass through a a Zoom B1on multi effects pedal then put the signal from that in to the PC.

That gives me a range of basic sounds and effects,for any further tweaking of the sound I adjust the tone controls on the passive basses or EQ on the active basses.

It's basically the most ludite/technophobe approach to modern recording that i coud come up with.

I made a very wise choice (in my awesome opinion) and switched my DAW software from Apple Logic Pro to Ableton live. The only thing I really regret is how good their guitar amp plugins sounded. They even had 20 different amps specifically made for Bass. Ableton not so much. If you want any guitar amps you have to buy Ableton live Standard which is about $400 USD or more. Once you have Ableton Live Standard then you have to purchase their AMP plug in which is another cost.

But hands down I still like Ableton Lite over any Digital Audio Workstation software I've tried. 

I'm looking at a Digitech BP90 Bass effects pedal. It has 17 good reviews at my favorite music store website. Musiciansfriend.  Correct me. I would plug the bass guitar into the BP90 then plug the BP90 into my Audio Interface?  If anyone has used this or something like it shed some light !

1 hour ago, BassLine4Jesus said:

...shed some light !

You've not stated yet what interface you're using, nor on what platform (PC..? Mac..? Linux..? Other..?). With most interfaces, one does exactly as you've mentioned above: plug instrument into pedal, plug pedal into interface, and set the DAW to take input from the interface. I'd be surprised if that didn't work for you, but it depends a bit on knowing exactly what you're using.
Hope this helps.

The line6 Pod XT kit has a USB socket that allows it to act as an interface in it’s own right, you just select it as the input device in the DAW and it passes the audio through digitally.

I don’t know if Digitech does the same thing.

I have a LOT of pedals, and I really like using them, but to record anything other than very weird music I just DI the bass dry and add a bit of compression and/or dirt and EQ using VST plugins

I like Blockfish as a compressor and Quadrafuzz is an awesome filter/distortion/fuzz plugin

For me, it's DAW >Plug-ins every time.

Dry signal at low-ish volume (maybe -14db) while tracking to minimise latency then load a chain of VST's onto the recorded track. A good starter chain might be:

• Sonalksis Free-G as a trim to optimise the incoming signal level for your chain
  • Klanghelm MJUC jr compressor or a VoS Ferric TDS to smooth out any humps and bumps while adding some punch
  • Helian 2nd Bass (amp sim) - very versatile for an easy to use plug-in
  • Room Machine 844 to add a touch of room noise and life (Optional but not essential)
  • Sonimus SonEQ - old school three knob equalizer
  • Another Sonalksis Free-G as a trim to optimise the outgoing signal level for your mix.

All the above are easy to use, relatively low CPU usage, sound nice and are freeware (the Sonimus requests an email address but they've never subsequently contacted me).

Edited by skankdelvar