Why become a member? ×

The Who - New '68 Live CD

spongebob

Had a reminder on Twitter yesterday that this is coming in April - 

https://www.thewho.com/live-fillmore-east-1968/

Must say, I'm looking forward to this one. For years, I kind of overlooked The Who. Guess I saw a few of the post-Moon gigs on TV, so I never really 'got' them. Appreciated some of what I'd heard, but a bit on the fence, really.

Few months back, I decided to give their back catalogue a good listen, and I'll admit, I've been mightily impressed. What a great albums band.....even if they should have called it quits when Moon left us...

They've been described as a band of soloists, and I can see that. Some of the live stuff is the sound of 4 individuals breaking out over the same song, right through! As a 'busy' player, I've developed a new admiration for The Ox. That 'Frankenstein' tone is amazing.

I was listening to a live set the other day (from about '69) in which they played 'Tommy' right through - 4 piece, no overdubs or triggers. Unbelievable today, and all the better for it IMHO.

Two album sides for My Generation? this I gotta hear :) 

The Live at Leeds set is still one I play all the time, classic act caught at their peak

thanks for sharing Spongebob :)

I've just realised something, about the similarities between the Who and Led Zeppelin. Both had great singers, drummers and bassists.

And  over-rated guitarists, one can't play lead, the other plays it very sloppily, I have since realised upon re-visiting their catalogue :)

Edited by bazzbass
  • Thanks 1