Why become a member? ×

New Bass for my son..!!

ctate

He's nine years old, a grade 8 drummer and chose to play bass a month ago..

We've a Fender Jazz that rarely gets used, so let him try it first...... Took to it like a duck to water....

We asked what he wanted for his birthday and it was a clear "Can I have a Precision bass please?"

After hunting around for a decent donor, we found a beat up Squier 20th anniversary, missing a few electronic bits - plus no 14 hole pickguard, strings or nut. Overall though, it wasn't too bad.

Got it home and made a new pickguard (small design tweak around the controls - just to add something unusual), added the bits, new Fender nut, strings and gave it a good clean (oiled the board etc.)......... Here's his pressie........ To me it looks awesome and plays great.

Can't wait for the reaction................ :)

DSCN9134.JPG

• Like 2

Nice one, having recently picked up a Squier Affinity Precision I`ve been amazed at the quality and playability for a "budget" instrument. OK, I`m changing the pots as the ones in there are 500s, a bit fizzy for me, but that`s a cheap change, and I`ll have a decent bass as a backup. I`m sure your son will be very pleased with the above.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Merton said:

Grade 8 at 9 years old? Brilliant, hopefully a star in the making :)

That was my first thought.  My boy is 8 and only on his 5th drum lesson.  I predict a very long and painful road to get anywhere near any grade standard, bless him xD

• Like 1

Hi,

My wife recently showed me a video she had taken of our 3 year old grandson playing my jazz bass, on its stand, like an upright whilst she played some music on the stereo.

"can you do something for him" she asked.

So I bought a secondhand Gear 4 Music 3/4 precision.

For the money its not bad but it did need a fair bit of work to make it anything like playable. The neck has no finish at all so I gave it 4 coats of tung oil and lemon oiled the fretboard.

I had to lower the nut, shim the neck, adjust the truss rod and then set it up.

So he will get it four his fourth birthday and we'll see what happens.

Regards,

Doug

small bass1.jpg

small bass3.jpg

small bass4.jpg

• Like 1

My lad Dan got this for his Christmas present a couple of years ago, I sprayed it blue and got Scratch-It to make a Pickguard of his favourite team...

Started as a Harley Benton 3/4 lefty. Mores the pity he’s got his hands on the wrong way - a very serviceable little bass 😑

8CB1F6DC-2267-457D-9C48-21255B1A4263.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback..!!!!

Inspiring to see the other kids basses too; bands like the Royal Blood, 21 Pilots and current established groups that feature prominent bassists (Chili Peppers, MUSE etc.) appear to be driving the instrument to new popularity..

Anyway, he got to see and play it last night; he was speechless (which is a lot with him..!! :biggrin:) and managed four solid hours playing Chili Peppers, MUSE, Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Green Day and anything else he could think of...!!

He is at his first band practice tonight, as a bassist, so got four days to learn 4 songs from scratch - he's done it too..... O.o They're not simple tunes either  and he didn't have a hand in choosing them (Mardy Bum, My Sharona, Mr Brightside and Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor).

When he got up this morning, he went to play it before school and said "every time I open the bag, I think - what a beauty!".............. I can't ask for more really.

Going to film him playing it and I'll put it up here shortly.

Peace..

Cam Bass Pic.jpg

• Like 2

By the time I bought my daughter her first bass, she was 14 and size wasn't an issue.

Application was, though. She played it like crazy for a month, then put it down and never touched it again.

Four months later I raided her bedroom, took the bass + practice amp + Crash Course For Bass (Stuart Clayton), and started playing.

Haven't looked back since.

You see ... children do have their uses.

:biggrin: