Why become a member? ×

Precision 1951 or 1955 copies

johnpaulbass

Hello !

I considering buying a replica of the "original" precision bass, the 1951 model.. or the tele bass or the one Sting uses, the 1955 model.

Can you suggest me some links, makers or such that makes this model ? I'm about a cheap copy. I know Thomann makes it (harley benton) but I would like to explore some other options  too. I don't want to spend more then 250 £.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, johnpaulbass said:

I was thinking about them too but I'm searching the "single" one pickup version .. no the "big one" or does the Squier make also the 51 reissue ?

They used too, quite difficult to find now though, discontinued and apparently no-one is selling theirs.

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Bach over in the Czech Republic do one. Called the Perfect Bass 60.

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/bpb-60-sb-relic_p2003

£260 inc delivery

My experience may be atypical but I got one of the 5 string versions and it was very poorly finished, with scratches on the bridge, bad lacquer on the neck and a dodgy earth, so sent it back for refund.

@yorks5stringer

Not an option then. I've had no dealings with Bach myself just knew they sold a SC P-bass.

TBH after owning 3 Harley Benton PB-50's there's not much chance me looking at other makes,though I'd like to try the pine body Squier :) After near 4 year I've yet to do any work to the PB, tuners/bridge are tip top,no crackly pots or jack socket. Basswood body is in better condition than any of my alder,ash,poplar or mahogany basses. Never adjusted TR.

For a bass which cost £82 delivered and after countless hours play the PB-50 has more than proved itself.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

What's up with the headstock ?

I used silicone grease on the screws when replacing the Tuners. This has leached into the wood and when trying to re-shoot a poly coat over the new decal and tint, it gets repelled. So waiting for some Maple veneer to place over it having stain -stopped the headstock underneath.

Edited by yorks5stringer

On 06/03/2018 at 19:07, yorks5stringer said:

My experience may be atypical but I got one of the 5 string versions and it was very poorly finished, with scratches on the bridge, bad lacquer on the neck and a dodgy earth, so sent it back for refund.

I was looking into the very same a couple of years ago.  On the Bach website, you could zoom in on the example photos and the fit and finish didn't look good so I didn't bother. 

You'd have thought they would have put their very best one up there, so if that was their best, I wasn't interested in getting a lesser version....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huge Hands said:

I was looking into the very same a couple of years ago.  On the Bach website, you could zoom in on the example photos and the fit and finish didn't look good so I didn't bother. 

You'd have thought they would have put their very best one up there, so if that was their best, I wasn't interested in getting a lesser version....

I was so disappointed.. took ages to come and when I sent it back, ages for the refund too.