Why become a member? ×

Speed!

T-Bay

Tie your mother down is fairly easy to speed up with a few minor tweeks.

For the open A to C run, just flick/hammer on the C and that will cover both notes.

For the chorus just run the line as in the first chorus - ie dont attempt to make it swing. It works equally well both ways. That should take out the delicate pauses etc.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Tie your mother down is fairly easy to speed up with a few minor tweeks.

For the open A to C run, just flick/hammer on the C and that will cover both notes.

For the chorus just run the line as in the first chorus - ie dont attempt to make it swing. It works equally well both ways. That should take out the delicate pauses etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! The chorus is ok, it’s just that open run that’s killing me.

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

The annoying thing is the song is DEAD simple but we are playing it faster than the original as part of a medley, it’s Queen - tie your mother down but played around 145-150bpm. Working the speed up I can get it spot on to around 125bpm and then it just falls apart, the original is 132bpm I believe. So it’s A string 0-030 G2, I just get half a note behind from the off and can’t get it back. I will keep trying but at the moment it feels like my crappy arthritic fingers just won’t go any faster. What’s more annoying is that other stuff we play is just as fast and faster but the patterns seem to work fine for me. 

Playing a song too fast is not usually a good thing, you will lose the total feel of the original and all the accents will just become a muddled mush.

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

Playing a song too fast is not usually a good thing, you will lose the total feel of the original and all the accents will just become a muddled mush.

Agreed to some extent, this does work a bit quicker, well it will once I get my fingers up to speed! But we do tend to play most things faster than the original, it’s part of the band in many ways. Mostly it’s just a bit quicker but we are trying to work this one into a medley, if it doesn’t end up working we will bin it but I want to give it every chance first.

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Agreed to some extent, this does work a bit quicker, well it will once I get my fingers up to speed! But we do tend to play most things faster than the original, it’s part of the band in many ways. Mostly it’s just a bit quicker but we are trying to work this one into a medley, if it doesn’t end up working we will bin it but I want to give it every chance first.

! But we do tend to play most things faster than the original,

yea I’ve got a drummer like that also.

Have had another half an hour at it this afternoon and made progress. I just completely separated the two hands and just hammered out the rhythm faster and faster with my right hand (no sniggering at the back) and thenfor the last few minutes built the left hand into it. Not there just yet but have moved forward which is more than I managed the last few days

• Like 1