Why become a member? ×

My parts Jazz

thebeat

Hey ho!

Built this bugger over the last few weeks. I'ts body is from a Fender AM DLX Jazz, it has routing for active pups but i've gone passive. Fitted Kent Armstrongs Vintage Jazz pups and they sound good to me. Neck is from the infamous P Special (which is no more)...same with the Bad Ass. CTS pots and wiring by me. Colour is Oly White Pearl.

As i said, it sounds good to me and has a nice low action...only problem i had putting it together was having to move the bridge to get it to intonate bang on...this means that i can't use the thru body stringing, but to be honest i'm not sure it made any difference stringing it that way anyway. If anyone has any answers as to why it wouldn't intonate using the original bassbridge i'd love to know. If bought brand new it did originally come with a 22 fret neck, but as far as i'm aware with the neck being the same length overall but with an extended fingerboard, this theoretically shouldn't matter...i'm mystified?

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='332445' date='Nov 19 2008, 05:09 PM']is it that the entire neck is the same length? cos that doesnt matter. its the distance between bridge and nut that matters.[/quote]

The distance between nut and bridge and 12th fret and bridge are both approx 17 inches which means that theoretically it should have intonated no problem...i'm flumoxed as to why it wouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thebeat' post='332305' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:07 PM']only problem i had putting it together was having to move the bridge to get it to intonate bang on...this means that i can't use the thru body stringing, but to be honest i'm not sure it made any difference stringing it that way anyway.
[/quote]

I wouldn't sweat it too much about the bridge, tbh i really don't think through body stringing makes that much difference at all , nice bass btw

The Am Dlx Fenders do have a longer neck than standard to accommodate the extra frets. The scale length is the same on both (34") but the neck joins the body further down and the body is subtly reshaped due to this. This picture should hopefully illustrate the difference:

[attachment=16672:fendercompare.jpg]

As you can see, the nut, 12th fret and bridge are all in the same place. However, the neck on the Dlx is, unsurprisingly, 2 frets longer. So if you fit a standard, 20-fret, neck to a Dlx body you will have to move the bridge back to compensate – by my calculations it'll be about 30mm off.

Edited by ~tl