Why become a member? ×

Lust and the aftermath

chrispbass

How shall I start!

This post is I suppose about observing the sales of different basses and the 'usefulness' of certain catwalk/custom models in the trenches of modern music.

The bottom line, music is made, no more, no less, so that's not the immediate issue.

What I'm referring to is the worship, coverting, then ultimately dismissal of certain high end basses. The sort of bass that although are manufactured to heavenly tolerances, using the finest materials known to angels, quickly lose appeal to the old faithfuls. The scenario of saving up and selling a kidney to buy said bass, only to sell it 6 months down the line!!

Is it just me that notices this, or is it just a small minority of happy/unhappy customers that do this?

I suspect that you're mischaracterising what's happening here. I've played with loads of guitarists who would find THE guitar only to trade it in a few months later for the new THE guitar. And they were ALL, every single one of the, THE guitar. On the other hand I've played with people who have found one or two or three guitars over their playing lifetime and that's it.

In both of the above cases the cost of the guitar was irrelevant. For the guitar flippers, it was the belief that each new guitar would bring guitar nirvana, the post purchase realisation that they all had flaws (real or merely perceived) and a belief that the grass would really be greener the other side of the music shop. The internet and forums like this only makes this worse through ease and availability - and group think.

The OP seems to single out the boutique basses for this phenomenon. I've not done a statistical study of this but I'd bet that there are as many Sires and Squiers being flipped as Foderas and F Basses - although maybe not. However, more on the grounds that having a couple of £200 resale value basses kicking around unloved "in case" isn't as economically painful. And to fund the new Ken Smith the Alembic has to go, which replaced the Dingwall that was funded by selling the Fodera which...

It would also be interesting to compare a list of those who flip the most expensive  basses with those who flip the most mid/lower range basses. I wonder how many names would be common to both and how the number of basses flipped per year would compare...

Maybe it's more about being addicted to the new bass buzz? Rather than finding the bass that really suits you and sticking with it - how many "Oh why did I ever sell that XXXXXXXXX. I now realise that my new YYYYYYY isn't have the bass it was..." threads do we see? And how often are they followed by "I've seen these ZZZZZZZZZ basses online, what do you all think?" threads...

Anyway, there are a minority of us who provide the Ying to that Yang - me included. I've got a number of relatively expensive, hand built guitars and basses, at least three, possibly four or five, of which count as "boutique" - only a few of which were bought full price, mind you, or back when you could get a good night out, a fish supper and change from a three bob note.

My Aria SB700 was my first ever bass back in 1982 - still play it. My Mk 1 Wal was bought in 1992 and it's still my No 1 bass. My Tony Revell custom acoustic bass was bought in 1992. My Brook acoustic was bought in 1999 and still gets played regularly. My Pro Series Wal was bought in 2002 and is more than my No 2 bass, more like my No 1.5.  I won my Fylde Gordon Giltrap Signature acoustic (I know, what a lucky so and so) in 2005 and I still love it. I've only ever sold three instruments in 35 years playing (a Squier Jazzerstein project bass, a Yamaha starter electric, and a mid range Washburn acoustic to fund my Brook). I can confidently say that the boutique instruments I've got now aren't going anywhere!!!

• Like 3

I've noticed that the only time I get GAS is when I'm not playing or practicing as much as normal, or if i'm stressed with some other part of life. I'm sure this doesn't just happen to me.

Usually happens if I'm tired from work overload, so my playing is either uninspired or lacking energy, and my brain tries to blame the instrument. It's difficult to feel excited when you've not had a day off work for weeks or you're short on sleep. Also happens if you keep playing the same stuff rather than learning something new. It's just boredom and lack of inspiration.

I find that GAS completely goes away if I get a good night's sleep and focus on learning something new. But it took me quite a few years to work this out.

• Like 2

Oh so true. I've never yet "flipped" - I have two basses I'd sell if I could be bothered, but only because I now have similar better.

But I'm so horribly aware that any time I buy a new bass (which isn't that often - oh well to be honest, three in the last 12 months) I somehow still believe I'll immediately be able to play it as well as in my dreams. When what I need to do is spend far more time with the wonderful basses I already have literally in arm's reach.

• Like 1

For as long as 4 strings on a fretted board are enough, I'm sure my Aria Pro II SB will do the job.

Will I end up with another bass? Probably. Will it play or sound as good as the Aria? Probably not.

Either way, as long as I'm spending my $ on something which makes me happy, who cares.

After 130+ basses of all shapes, sizes and pedigrees I've finally settled on my Sterling. It's not the fanciest, blingiest, nicest or bass with the most strings I've ever owned but it does exactly what I need to it to do and it's really comfortable.

I do remember the thrill of the chase with some of the basses like the Modulus Flea, Stingray 20th & 30th anniversaries, Yamaha TBR6 fretless, Rickenbacker 4003 Blueboy etc but ultimately the bass that suits your style, is comfortable and sounds right is the right bass regardless of the brand name on the headstock or number of strings.

I've really enjoyed playing the SUB5 as it is essentially a classic Stingray 5 for less money but I can't see it hanging around for long

Edited by Delberthot