Why become a member? ×

Simple....but easily changeable...EQ

paul_c2

Firstly, I should mention I don't really like effects, and I don't like the complexity and wires associated with loads of pedals etc. Having said that, I regularly use a Bass EQ pedal and a tuner pedal; and because the tuner eats batteries like they're going out of fashion, I also power these with a mains adapter instead of batteries. Lately I've been tweaking the EQ, subtly but able to make a noticeable improvement. For subtle changes, the EQ pedal is used, but I'll also use the tone control on the bass guitar (its a Fender Jazz) and for a more marked change, the pickup blend (ok I know its 2 volumes, not a blend control...but you know what I mean). For example normally I'd go for both pickups fully on; but for certain situations, the neck pickup at about 1/3 while leaving the bridge pickup fully turned up, works.

I can cope with making the changes on the bass for each song, quickly, with no issue. 

However I'd also like to explore being able to alter the EQ in a more general sense, ie using some kind of graphic EQ as a "sound shaping" tool (rather than just, for example, correcting a particular venue's acoustics, thus it would be set the same for the entire gig) however I really don't want to need to change the sliders to precise settings from song to song.

Is there a device which is fairly simple, but could do this? I looked at multi FX, possibly a Boss ME-50B, I believe its possible to store 'patches' of particular effects parameters, including its parametric EQ, into memory then recalling them (3 on its own, or more with another footswitch attached). But I don't think it actually shows the settings it made, just records them in its internal memory leaving you to guess at what each setting was, before being able to tweak it. I guess the other effects could be useful too, but a few seem somewhat cheesy (for example I can't really see myself needing to use any overdrive or synth sounds, or reverb, etc) and I have a nagging doubt that on the cheaper end of multi-FX, the actual quality of the effects is poor such that its more of a bedroom gimmick than a tool which provides genuinely useful stuff.

Are there any other suggestions which could achieve this? A friend suggested 2x EQ pedals - but obviously that limits you to 2 variations (3 if you combine them; and 4 if the original un-EQ'd sound is suitable anyway). So the flexibility to set the EQ for each song is limited to the number of pedals you'd add...and each pedal adds complexity in that its another patch lead, another 9V adapter lead to kick mid-gig, etc)

Despite having a load of effects it sounds like you'd never use, take a look at the offerings from Zoom (B3, B3n, MS-60B, B1on) if you're not looking to spend several hundred pounds. I have both a B3 and MS-60B and both have numerous tone shaping options available including graphic & fully parametric eq's, pedal style pre-amp models as well as amp modelling, so there's a ton of options to play with. You can use more than one type in a patch too, for example on the B3 you can run 3 different models at once, 4 models at once on the MS-60B and I think the B1on can run 5 at once. 

I've had great results with them, my personal favourite eq's being the Bass Pre and the AC Bs Pre for general tone shaping and the Ba PEQ for use as a HPF/notch filter. 

I gig with my MS-60B and while not being the most gig friendly layout if you're looking to change patches all night, for a single set and forget patch (which is how I use mine) it is perfect. You can save patches too so for example if there's a particular venue you play that has a booming stage for example, you can save a patch with the appropriate eq to notch out the problem frequencies. You can even edit the patch name so you can instantly recall it the next time you're there. 

I'd back up what @Osiris said, the Zoom range is so versatile and you can have a little play with other effect like adding a smidgen of compression, if you don't like it then nothing lost, just use it as an eq and tuner :)

The B1on is an absolute bargain!