Why become a member? ×

New Bass(es) Day - Spector & Aria

Deedee

Just wanted to (belatedly) show the two beauties that I have recently purchased from fellow BassChatters.

They are pretty different animals for me (both through neck, twin pickup) as I’ve mainly been a Precision or Stingray player for a long time. 

First up, a 1991 (I think) Made in Korea Spector NS-2A.  This particular model came highly recommended to me by a fellow BCer and I’ve not been disappointed.  With it’s shorter top horn, I was a little concerned that it would take some getting used to playing on a strap, but it’s been fine.  It feels and plays like a top quality instrument and my thoughts of swapping out the preamp and pickups have been put to bed as I used it at a gig last weekend and it sounded great, cutting through and sounding punchy.  I think I now know what players mean when they describe ‘piano like’ clarity.

Next up a gorgeous 1981 Aria Pro II SB-R80.  This really is in beautiful condition save for a couple of dings which are pretty well camouflaged (the joy of a natural finish).

I once lusted after a ‘standard’ SB and was gutted once I tried one as I couldn’t get on with the string spacing.  However, this R version with the more traditional neck dimensions feels great.  I’m loving the different sounds available from this bass.  Obviously a very different beast to the Spector, but still punchy and able to go from a nasally honk to full fat dub in an instant.

All in all, I’m a very happy chappy and many thanks again to Maut and James for the smooth transactions.

6C99C942-788A-4BD4-A691-DD27C85D1D6C.jpeg

94B06C28-8081-43C0-9884-254CB03A6F8D.jpeg

97B42C61-B876-49FC-8C56-A359864209EF.jpeg

9F291933-E2F3-4C31-AA70-44A5B01EEF30.jpeg

• Like 2

On 20/01/2018 at 20:31, leftyyorky said:

Greetings from a fellow South Yorkshireman, beautiful looking pair of basses, and if they sound/play half as good as they look (which from your post they obviously do) you've hit the jackpot!

Where ìn South yorks are you?

Wombwell, Barnsley myself.

Not too far away 😎

Edited by Deedee

I've got a Korean Spector - love it - easily as good as the Euro LX 4 and 5 I had around the same time - glad you're enjoying it as much as I knew you would.

I've been looking for one of those Arias with a broken headstock so I can have a headless system installed - if you decide to smash it up, let me know.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've got a Korean Spector - love it - easily as good as the Euro LX 4 and 5 I had around the same time - glad you're enjoying it as much as I knew you would.

I've been looking for one of those Arias with a broken headstock so I can have a headless system installed - if you decide to smash it up, let me know.

On the first point, many thanks again for the recommendation.

On the second point, should this ever happen you’ll be first to know - as soon as I’ve stopped crying that is 😱