Why become a member? ×

Anyone know anything about these.

Not very cheap or cheerful to be honest - dreadful beginners brand from probably early 70’s.

Bit like the Kay stuff that people try to flog on as collectible vintage instruments, when really

they’re just as lousy as the day they were made. IMO of course! :D

I had a Jedson Telecaster many years ago (the actual guitar from the opening scenes of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, but that's another story) the action was so high it was unplayable, the trouble was that the pickup was mounted on top of the body which meant you couldn't drop it down at all without some serious carpentry work, I sold it to a mate for £10.00 and I never saw it again.

I still have my first Kay Strat hanging on the wall upstairs, at some point in time that gained a Jedson badge on the headstock, probably when it got repainted in Silver

First things first - it's not a Jedson, is it? This is fairly elementary stuff, Jedsons will say Jedson on the pointy end, and this one doesn't.

Having cleared that up, I do know a bit about these. Probably made by Sakai Mokko, early 70s, pretty common. It is a low-end, budget starter bass and probably would have cost about £30 new, probably out of someone's mum's catalogue.

It won't be very good - this is not dissimilar to the sort of thing I was unfortunate enough to start with (actually, it's further down the food chain) and that nearly put me off playing at all. If you want a playable, useable musical instrument, then buy one of those - not this. If you want a piece of ugly, overpriced trash for striking hipster poses in the mirror or hanging on the wall to try & impress friends who don't play instruments - knock yourself out. :)

9 hours ago, Grangur said:

Also, basses in Japan fetch surprisingly high prices. I wouldn't pay transit from Japan and import duty on a cheap bass.

Unless there's another Bognor Regis in Nagano Prefecture, I don't think it's in Japan.

Which is a pity when you think about it - because these days the seller needs to obtain the appropriate CITES clearance to export it, so chances are it'd end up getting impounded and subsequently destroyed by UK Customs. Which would be a relief.