Why become a member? ×

Faulty Returned Product

petetexas

Hi all,

How do people feel about returning a faulty effect box , stand or amp etc , and not getting a full refund ( incl postage ) ? This has just happened to me with Thomann .Received a Chorus Pedal , on opening the box on delivery , there were faulty mark`s on the aluminium case ( in the metal surface ) and a battery was installed and connected inside the unit .This led me to believe that the pedal was not new , so I immediately sent an email to them stating that I wanted a full refund due to the pedal being cosmetically faulty , and I believed , used , I have had a refund , but only for the price of the unit , excluding postage ! I am still arguing with them regarding the refund in FULL , Has anyone had the same  experience ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

Unfortunately I've had similar issues with Thomann on more than one occasion where they will try it on.

I bought a 'display' Variax 5 Bass which they assured me had just been in a perspex case. It arrived minus manual, essential leads, pedals and had obviously been played and they stonewalled me for a month.

In the end I wrote to the MD and got it sorted.  Suggest you remind them of the German distance selling regulations which are more exacting than ours.

I don't think is unsual to get a refund on the cost of the product excl postage, and in most cases its the buyers responsibiity to pay for return postage.  I'm not 100% sure what the law says, but TBH if you want a better customer experience go to a shop.

• Sad 1

Distance selling regulations state that you are entitled to receiving a refund of the basic delivery costs (but not any extra you’ve paid for expedited delivery).  Consumer rights act says you are entitled to be reimbursed reasonable costs for return of a faulty item.  I’m not sure, however, how this applies to non UK sellers, but the consumer rights act is the enactment in UK law of an EU directive so I’d at least try a few times with Thomann on the basis that it probably does apply.

The only reason I know anything about the distance selling regulations is that I was alerted to the new regulations when returning an online purchase to a high street shop.  Since that I’ve had several debates with other high street shops, many of which will argue the toss about it and claim that it’s “discretionary”.  Funny that - I always thought the law was the law...

I once bought from an eBay shop one of those mini Roland amps, the battery operated ones... they came in various colours and I specified the red one. I received a black one. I contacted the seller to return the black one and get the red one I asked for. They said they ran out of red ones. I said "I'll return this and have a refund please". I ended up paying the return out of my own pocket and never got refunded for that even if it was not my fault. EBay was not interested.

I think shops will sometimes try it on, knowing that many will just give up, as I did.

Hi all , Just had an email from Thomann , saying they were sorry for the mistake , and my 10 Euro postage would be in my bank within the next 2-3 days . RESULT !The way I looked at it was , if I had purchased it and did not like it - sound , colour , size etc , then I would have been happy to take it on the chin  - my mistake  , but this item  was cosmetically faulty , and quite obviously been used ..........not in the description of the product on their web page .

Pete

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I think shops will sometimes try it on, knowing that many will just give up, as I did.

I think most consumers, shop assistants, and perhaps the smaller Ebay shops just don’t know the law.  I may be being cynical but I think the larger shops will know very well, but in many cases are relying on Joe public's lack of knowledge, and capitalising on that by not briefing their own junior staff very well.  Or maybe I amjust a cynical old git.

My new year resolution will be to be less cynical.  Yeah, like that's ever going to happen 😁

11 minutes ago, petetexas said:

Hi all , Just had an email from Thomann , saying they were sorry for the mistake , and my 10 Euro postage would be in my bank within the next 2-3 days . RESULT !The way I looked at it was , if I had purchased it and did not like it - sound , colour , size etc , then I would have been happy to take it on the chin  - my mistake  , but this item  was cosmetically faulty , and quite obviously been used ..........not in the description of the product on their web page .

Pete

Good result!  Despite what I said above I do think that successful retailers in general know that unhappy customers are unlikely to be repeat customers, so if you let them know you’re unhappy then they'll quite often try to sort it out.  

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear
Predictive text...