Why become a member? ×

Two new basses!!

Bridgehouse

Made a snowy trip over to Chester to see @drlargepants - what a nice chap!! I've wanted a gigging bass that was like my 64 P without being my 64 P - just too much risk. 

Did the deal and came home with a 2009 Fender AVRI 62 P. It's really very similar in feel and tone to the 64. I would say it gets 95% of the way there - will be perfect for gigging! 

Most happy..

Spot the difference:

64P:

IMG_2461.jpg

AVRI 62P:

IMG_2462.jpg

Whilst I was out the nice courier delivered bass number 2...

I have been hankering after one for a few months actually, and when one was up on eBay from Absolute Music I copped it in their 20% off day. Retail on these is £609 - I got it for £412

Ibanez SRH-500-DEF

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

• Like 1

The Ibanez is interesting. 

Weighs about 6 1/2 lb, and balances really well.

It has a 38mm nut, but a pretty flat board. So whilst I'm not normally into thin nuts this one is really nice to play.

Piezo pickup only. I was expecting a sort of clanky acoustic tone. What I got was a really woody thumpy sound that was quite double bass in timbre. Really surprised - I reckon it will be really useful in our band context. 

Build quality is top notch. I like it a lot, and it's going to get a good work out. 

2 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

As an AVRI owner, I am pleased to inform you that, after a few gigs, yours will have picked up a few lacquer dings, making it even harder to tell apart from the '64!

I suspect it will ;)

Really pleased. It's borderline so good that I was almost slightly annoyed that it made my 64 look like a total waste of money.

Not quite - but really close

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It was my 62, and I knew the original owner from new. It’s a very lovely bass. I know my heart skipped when I saw it was back up for sale...

Well it's found a permanent home now. It's my chance to gig the 64 without gigging the 64!

My inner John Deacon is cursing you, my outer wee Irish guy with  tiny hands is thanking you lol !

Seriously, thank you for your journey and thank you for the P bass education. 

I was considering putting a jazz neck on it of the same Vintage, but the financials were insane  

I do however demand a live video of it in action ;-)

Enjoy !

\m/

20 minutes ago, drlargepants said:

My inner John Deacon is cursing you, my outer wee Irish guy with  tiny hands is thanking you lol !

Seriously, thank you for your journey and thank you for the P bass education. 

I was considering putting a jazz neck on it of the same Vintage, but the financials were insane  

I do however demand a live video of it in action ;-)

Enjoy !

\m/

Yeah, I'm sure a live video will happen ;)

I will post one up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I prefer the tort on the reissue, but other than that they look virtually identical, a great pair there.

Some people like the more subtle modern tort. Personally I like my tort to be as outrageous as possible! 

The AVRI is very nice though. Once the Chromes have dulled a bit I'd say the sound will be pretty damn close between them. 

Played the Ibanez again this morning. It's surprising me - really nice sound for the money. 

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I did. Lovely thing.

It was the black and maple - particularly with the vintage tint on the neck that had me very excited.

When I play big band I always take a 5 string as I usually get piano scores, but when I'm playing at home the 4 strings come out.

I'm sure another will come along - they aren't especially rare in black and maple. Got to say tho - the AVRI has really impressed me - it feels Custom shop standard at least, and is one of the nicest modern basses I have ever played.. if you haven't tried one, I would do..

15 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Spot the difference

Your AVRI '62 needs to get bashed about a bit. Hit it with your rhythm stick. Maybe, discolour the pickguard to simulate fifty years of cigarette tar deposition.

IMO, the current AVRI '63 is closer to the real thing than the earlier AVRI '62. Rightly or wrongly, Fender upped the pickup output a fair bit. Unfortunately, my AVRI '63 left the factory fitted with an AVRI '58 raised A polepieces pickup. (A production line QA oversight, methinks.) I changed to a Duncan Antiquity. The Fifties style pickup was rehoused in my old Squier Silver Series P. The Squier now masquerades as a '59. B|

For your stated musical requirements, the Ibanez SRH makes more sense than a certain Gibson EB-650 would have done - regardless of price considerations. Your description of the piezo sound has made me want to re-evaluate that aspect of my old Yamaha Attitude Custom.

2 minutes ago, Funkfingers said:

Your AVRI '62 needs to get bashed about a bit. Hit it with your rhythm stick. Maybe, discolour the pickguard to simulate fifty years of cigarette tar deposition.

IMO, the current AVRI '63 is closer to the real thing than the earlier AVRI '62. Rightly or wrongly, Fender upped the pickup output a fair bit. Unfortunately, my AVRI '63 left the factory fitted with an AVRI '58 raised A polepieces pickup. (A production line QA oversight, methinks.) I changed to a Duncan Antiquity. The Fifties style pickup was rehoused in my old Squier Silver Series P. The Squier now masquerades as a '59. B|

For your stated musical requirements, the Ibanez SRH makes more sense than a certain Gibson EB-650 would have done - regardless of price considerations. Your description of the piezo sound has made me want to re-evaluate that aspect of my old Yamaha Attitude Custom.

I plugged the Ibanez directly into the QSC K10.2 this morning - really nice subtle acoustic double bass type sound. Really impressed with it!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Ibanez at rehearsal last night. 

I would say it's the best £400 I've spent on any music gear.

Lovely deep thumpy hollow sound - ranges from having a zing to it with the tone up to borderline big double with it rolled off - the tone rolled off just gives it character rather than making it sound muffled. 

Balances well on the strap, light weight, and easy to play. 

On 12/29/2017 at 17:03, Bridgehouse said:

Whilst I was out the nice courier delivered bass number 2...

I have been hankering after one for a few months actually, and when one was up on eBay from Absolute Music I copped it in their 20% off day. Retail on these is £609 - I got it for £412

Ibanez SRH-500-DEF

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

Like those Fenders and that Ibanez. Enjoy them.