Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

Hi people,

after messing with synth pedals for bass I’m thinking I might just dive in to getting a Moog. Need to decide which one. Perhaps a Subsequent 37 would be a good and affordable starting point but I wonder if I’m going to quickly hanker after the third oscillator available on the D and Voyager.

On the one hand, I like the very hands-on approach of the model D but am also drawn by the ability to save patches on the other two models.

Not sure whether I’d need to have a sequencer and arpeggiator but it might be fun to experiment.

Anybody on here for experience with these 3 units? I haven’t yet been able to try the Voyager.

This could be the thin end of the wedge; I’m pretty sure I’d like to have some kind of polysynth too as I’m very into harmony (something like a Prophet or Oberheim).

Anyone near Sheffield have a Voyager who’d be willing to show me?

I have played all of them, they are all nice, I would certainly like to buy a Sub 37. The voyager is ok, but as a non full time keyboard player, I couldn't justify one of those at that price when there is a lot more available for a lot less.

You would certainly find the Sub 37 more versatile than the D, and there is always the Behringer D if you want to try it on a budget!

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Behringer-Model-D-Analog-Synthesizer-Module/28TD

Although I see from your list you apear primarily interested in retro synths, if you want to experiment there are a lot more manufacturers around than moog, and although the sub37 is excellent value for money, crazily so for moog, in general, most of them are quite a bit more versatile.

Thanks for your reply, @Woodinblack.

Yes, I’ve had my eye on the Behringer D since I first became aware of it. Still awaiting its becoming available.

I do love the sound of the Minimoog D so that is high on my list. However, you’re quite right, it’s a lot of cash for something that isn’t my first instrument (and one that is monophonic). I’m thinking for the time being I might buy Native Instruments’ Monark to get me started.

Moogs do have a sound all of their own - and its primarily a that of a fuzzy, slightly detuned oscillator - which is actually musically pleasing.

Having said that I have owned Minioog's (original), more recently the Voyager, Voyager XL, Voyager Old School, and played about with the Little/Sub/Sub 37 Phatty's. All very nice, but there is a little bit of 'myth' going on about how superior their sound is - the rest of the world has caught up and we are spoilt for choice. Not least in software emulations! Monark is good, but try Arturia's Minimoog V - I believe you can download a free demo.

Having said all that the 'one knob per function' tweakability of classic Moog instruments is the appeal - you won't go far wrong with a Sub37, and don't worry about the third oscillator - most of the classic vintage synth sounds were adequately made on 2, not 3. Remember the original Minimoog mostly used the third oscillator as a modulation source.

The best VFM at the moment in monosynths is unquestionably the Arturia Matrixbrute - its basically a hardwired modular studio in box and for only about 400 sovs more than a Sub37, which I hate to say it, it easily outclasses.

Of course this is a Bass forum - the daddy is clearly the Moog Taurus III Pedals - now sadly out of production. If you see a set going second hand buy them. No, scrub that, tell me first - I'll buy them!!!

Edited by disgrace of bass
  • Like 1

I’ll have to check out the Matrixbrute too. Looks pretty overwhelming.

I find all the stuff with hidden menus and combination button presses a bit daunting (despite being fairly technically-minded). I’m a total synth noob so something with direct access to parameters might be good for me to learn the ropes. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

I have a Minitaur; it's a little one-dimensional, ie. it does the Taurus sound, so if that's what you want then it's great.

Behringer are just about to release their Minimoog clone, so that's another option; I think they're going to fly off the shelves!

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I have a Minitaur; it's a little one-dimensional, ie. it does the Taurus sound, so if that's what you want then it's great.

Behringer are just about to release their Minimoog clone, so that's another option; I think they're going to fly off the shelves!

Been eying the Model D clone for months. One thing I can’t see is how (if at all) it is possible to calibrate it. 

15 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Been eying the Model D clone for months. One thing I can’t see is how (if at all) it is possible to calibrate it. 

I think they're out real soon now (pre-orders are being taken).

I assume they'll have a USB connection, rather than being a direct re-implementation of the 70s?

You won't really need to calibrate it, as it won't drift like the original.

Funnily enough, today I played a model D (a real one) in PMT in bristol, it was powered and connected, which is unusual. About 3k.

Its nice, and its fun to use, but if you strip away the iconic part and what it actually 'means' to the history of synthesis, it was pretty limited compared to both the Sub 37 to its right and the Korg Minilogue to its left.  And actually most things in that room.

I enjoyed playing it but the minilogue was a lot more fun!

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You won't really need to calibrate it, as it won't drift like the original.

Funnily enough, today I played a model D (a real one) in PMT in bristol, it was powered and connected, which is unusual. About 3k.

Its nice, and its fun to use, but if you strip away the iconic part and what it actually 'means' to the history of synthesis, it was pretty limited compared to both the Sub 37 to its right and the Korg Minilogue to its left.  And actually most things in that room.

I enjoyed playing it but the minilogue was a lot more fun!

My local shop has a reissue Model D which I’ve played a couple of times and is fun. It’s less daunting than the Subsequent and the bigger keyboard is a plus. It is more limited in terms of routing options though. 

Agreed that it is more accessible than the sub/sequent, but a lot more limited. The minilogue is also more accessible, although it has a silly mini keyboard (actually, for a mini keyboard it is quite good, but still not a fan).

Either way they are all fun. My wife had wandered off, so I had a decent amount of time to wander round playing everything. For some strange reason, I went to the bass section but nothing appealed so played the moogs, korgs, a couple of rolands, some of the Nords, the roli, and the Yamaha montage (very impressive, but never played any gig big enough to use one of those!)

On 12/31/2017 at 02:59, Funkfingers said:

S.C.I. Pro-One, anyone?

Are there any still working?

Back then in order to hit the appropriate price point the build quality was seriously cheap and nasty. They might have sounded good, but they looked and felt cheap. The examples I've encountered had a substantial amount of flexibility to the front panel. That can't have been doing the circuitry inside any good.

I suspect not in that they weren't that common to start with. They were priced down to compete with the other mono synths.

And frankly, compare that to a minilogue (or I guess even a monologue - haven't tried one but I assume it is similar) and its probably also not that good.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

How are you going to run the Minitaur?

I picked up a Sonuus G2M V3 to use with my bass guitar though the latency is still pretty off-putting. I’m running the Minitaur from a controller keyboard at present (until I can afford an industrial Radio MIDI bass).

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 22:38, prowla said:

I've got a G2M and it's a bit hit and miss.

I have Roland PK-5A pedals, but a 12-Step would be cool too.

For a bass guitar synth, the EH Synth9 is pretty good, if you want its canned voices.

I've regretted getting rid of my PK-5 - much more user friendly than the 12-Step.

35 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I've regretted getting rid of my PK-5 - much more user friendly than the 12-Step.

The problem with the PK-5 is in changing patches; I've got a RFX MIDIBuddy MP128P board with numbers on it which is a little more friendly.

• Like 1