Why become a member? ×

Precision bass coils difference

sirmuppet

This may be a stupid question. A split coil P-bass pickup obviously has two parts to it. Is there a specific side that should go under the E & A Strings and D & G strings? I'm speaking about Seymour Duncan pickups in particular the SPB-3.

I know Fender has mentioned this on the new American Professional series and I'm guessing there are specific pickups out there like this. I had always assumed both coils were the same on most pickups unless it otherwise states that but since seeing Fenders spec I questioned my assumption that both coils are the same. If they are not how do you tell which side is which?

Thanks, G.

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve always gone with the one with the wires going under the D & G, as they`re nearest to the electrics.

Cool. This was my thinking too. The only reason I question it is that the last 4 Seymour Duncan pickups have had the covers on backwards then. As in normally on a P-bass it would be on the D/G coil but follow what you said (and what I do too) it would have had the cover on the E/A coil. Same for the Jazz ones as the logo should be on the G side of a Jazz but the wires were around at the other side so I swapped. These pickups were all purchased from different places. 

Anyone else had the above?

20 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

Cool. This was my thinking too. The only reason I question it is that the last 4 Seymour Duncan pickups have had the covers on backwards then. As in normally on a P-bass it would be on the D/G coil but follow what you said (and what I do too) it would have had the cover on the E/A coil. Same for the Jazz ones as the logo should be on the G side of a Jazz but the wires were around at the other side so I swapped. These pickups were all purchased from different places. 

Anyone else had the above?

The SD SPB-3 I repaired the other day, I remember had identical resistance reading from each coil, shouldn't make any difference which way the 2 halves are fitted.

Cheerz, John

2 hours ago, KiOgon said:

The SD SPB-3 I repaired the other day, I remember had identical resistance reading from each coil, shouldn't make any difference which way the 2 halves are fitted.

Cheerz, John

Cool. I had just been looking at the new American pro and read about the coil differences for both the P & J bass. When I was putting in the pickup you repaired for me it suddenly occurred to me that I had never thought if any other pickups were like that and being that I changed the covers around, had I put them in wrong. Was no issue with what you did as that worked perfectly (gigged it on sat, thanks again :)) just something I thought while doing it. You know me and wiring now xD

It might just be me, but why would anyone install p bass pups with the wires so far away from the controls? Surely the only sensible way is with as much length as possible for running neatly through the the routing resulting in a nice and tidy looking pickguard to plop perfectly back in? There is no difference whatsoever in the two units; only the location of the poles under the strings is somewhat critical for a balanced output for each string, otherwise you'll be sloping the pups at weird angles to get it right.

1 hour ago, LITTLEWING said:

It might just be me, but why would anyone install p bass pups with the wires so far away from the controls? Surely the only sensible way is with as much length as possible for running neatly through the the routing resulting in a nice and tidy looking pickguard to plop perfectly back in? There is no difference whatsoever in the two units; only the location of the poles under the strings is somewhat critical for a balanced output for each string, otherwise you'll be sloping the pups at weird angles to get it right.

Totally agree and again I was doing it correct but I read about Fenders new pickups. I just wanted to check I was doing it the right way which I am, lol. 

Edited by sirmuppet