Why become a member? ×

January sales?

uk_lefty

For the first time in many years I may be in the market for a new bass.  I've sold off some gear that I wasn't using and I want to treat myself a bit, but being savvy about it I don't want to rush out with my pocket money to the nearest sweet shop... Are "January sales" something that the big music retailers join in with? There's been some lefty bargains on eBay recently but I've managed to restrain myself. I am attracted to buying a new instrument rather than second hand but just want to know what the state of play is likely to be.

Thanking you in advance!

In my experience, January sales with the larger music shops are pretty much like any others

- deals on stock that hasn’t shifted, and stuff bought in to sell cheaply to promote this. You may

get lucky and find what you want/need, but chances are you will do just as well negotiating over

exactly what you’re after at any other time, especially if your needs are very specific regarding 

the spec of a particular bass.

With internet price matching, Black Friday and Cyber Monday what's going to be left for January sales? As @casapate says, it will be stock that hasn't sold, and cheap Christmas present stuff left over such as starter packs and effect pedals. As a left-hander you probably already know bargains are few and far between for you, so if you see what you like at a decent price it will probably be no better after Christmas.

There are sometimes bargains to found after the NAMM music show in late January.

NAMM tends to be when the big manufacturers unveil their new models and at the same time announce which lines are being replaced and upgraded.

A couple of years ago the Fender USA Deluxe line was replaced by the Americal Elite line, immediately after that Deluxes were being sold at £500 discounts.

This year it was the Yamaha BBs, although that was announced at Summer NAMM in June. The 424/5s and 1024/5s were discontinued and the old stock was on sale for approaching half price.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

When faced with a buying option, I ask myself two questions...

1 - Do I want it..? If answer is 'No', walk away, if not, go on to 2...

2 - Can I afford it..? If answer is 'No', walk away; if not, buy it.

End of.

I've never considered bartering, negotiating, haggling or whatever. Just those two questions.

24 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

When faced with a buying option, I ask myself two questions...

1 - Do I want it..? If answer is 'No', walk away, if not, go on to 2...

2 - Can I afford it..? If answer is 'No', walk away; if not, buy it.

End of.

I've never considered bartering, negotiating, haggling or whatever. Just those two questions.

Thanks, pretty much my criteria, except I add a third because I'm a tight Yorkshireman: 

3. Where can I get it cheapest?

Or in this case, When can I get it cheapest! :)

I do absolutely tons of research when I'm buying stuff like this (tight Yorkshireman also), but if you're forking out several hundred pounds then it's definitely worth trying a little haggling.  I'm really conscious when it comes to that kind of thing but I think it's almost expected in a lot of guitar shops.

Even if they don't knock any money off they might chuck in a hard case and decent strap to stop you going off to a competitor.

Edit: By the way, what're you after? I'm just being nosey now!

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Wasn't finished

Rikki that is the 6 million Lire question! Even with the paucity of options for lefties I'm spoiled for choice. I have a lot covered with the three basses I already own but I am tempted by most of the Sire basses, the Warwick Star, a Warwick corvette if I save enough, a fender USA or Japanese jazz, or even something custom made but costing less than a grand... It's all to play for! Oh, and then eBay and the forum throw up the odd second hand bargain too. 

• Like 1

Holy cack I just looked up a Warwick Star! I don't usually like the look of Warwicks but that's beautiful, I'll be spending my morning watching videos of those now! 

There's definitely a lot of options for even the lowest budget, researching and deciding is half the fun :D

I know... Especially the Daphne blue version!! 

I do like the Sire vintage V7... And the V9... And the M7... And their PJ bass. All quality basses within my range. And there's an ibanez model with nordstrands kicking about too... Plan is that my jazz bass will wear flats, P bass remains the same (flats and badass bridge) and my fretless remains my only fretless. But it could all change!