Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

You might be pleasantly surprised by the drives in the HX and not necessarily need an outboard one. Most of them are guitar oriented, but since you have the ability to clean blend or even split the signal with crossover, you can work around those issues.

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh that does look good! Any idea what price bracket this is likely to be? Please do keep us posted! 

Didn't really say a great deal, other than the Odyssey as it is now will work well on bass, but the new version more specifically tailored for bass use. Can only assume a similar bracket to the guitar version.

12 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You might be pleasantly surprised by the drives in the HX and not necessarily need an outboard one. Most of them are guitar oriented, but since you have the ability to clean blend or even split the signal with crossover, you can work around those issues.

This is little dilemma I'm wrestling with. The plan is to get the HX first anyway and test before I delve into any further purchases. Thanks for the info.

Depends what kind of drive you're after, but the B7K sim is pretty much bang on and the Teemah (Timmy) has decent low end and sounds very nice also, either for a woolly vintage Motown type tone or something more aggressive.

Core sound is edge of breakup on a rumble 500 combo. Need a smooth grindy sound to level up from that (assuming B7K sim will hit that) then something to replace a Green Russian reissue muff for full on distortion, sounds like the muff emulation is comparable too on the HX.

The Teemah is comparable to the Rumble. I couldn't get a muff sound that responded well with my bass from the new selection but the legacy one worked much better for me. Don't be afraid to dig into the older effects thinking that all the new ones must be better - you need to dig into the legacy selection to get a decent octaver for one!

And you will need it for now as the pitch shift is not as good as the Tender! However there was heavy hinting on a TB thread that Line6 have hired people that worked on the POG algorithms so a decent polyphonic octaver should be in the pipeline!

Some cool features on the Odyssey, BUT what were they thinking having the clean volume knob down the side of the pedal?! Not the smartest design feature I've ever seen!

The video was pretty much the thing in 'fuzz' mode, it would have been good to hear it's full range of drive tones.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Mojomojo from the classifieds this week (well I had to buy at least one new toy to replace all the ones I’ve sold!) and very impressed with it. I’m surprised TC don’t market it as suitable for bass use!

The top end is a bit muffled and it sounds best at low gain, but the low end is amazingly good, better than most ‘bass’ pedals. Just read from the TC blurb that the internal voltage is ramped up which undoubtedly helps with headroom, letting the full heft of your note attack through.

If you want a mellow, warm sounding drive that sounds great for classic rock, blues, R&B, etc, I reckon this is one of the best options going regardless of price, and the best thing is it only costs £40 new!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Picked up a Mojomojo from the classifieds this week (well I had to buy at least one new toy to replace all the ones I’ve sold!) and very impressed with it. I’m surprised TC don’t market it as suitable for bass use!

The top end is a bit muffled and it sounds best at low gain, but the low end is amazingly good, better than most ‘bass’ pedals. Just read from the TC blurb that the internal voltage is ramped up which undoubtedly helps with headroom, letting the full heft of your note attack through.

If you want a mellow, warm sounding drive that sounds great for classic rock, blues, R&B, etc, I reckon this is one of the best options going regardless of price, and the best thing is it only costs £40 new!

+1^^ that's pretty spot on DB. In fact I think on the ad for the one now sold in the FS (I'm guessing the one you bought?) I posted - "This thing has the ability to retain low end as well as any dirt pedal I've come across."  which ties in pretty much exactly with what you're saying.

TBF - not everyone has found they could get this pedal to work with their rig; we spent a little while trying to see if @T-Bay could get a sound out of his that he liked, but without success, and obviously the fact that they regularly come up for sale suggests that whilst they may be good, they're not necessarily a keeper. I guess the same argument could be given for Fender basses, but it's not quite the same given how much more ubiquitous Fender basses are.

I guess what I'd really like is something that has the low end retention of the TC Mojomojo, and high end sparkle but without (metallic) fizz and a great 'core' drive tone. Does that dirt pedal exist?

Actually I just tried this at high gain again and it sounds pretty good there too! Not a million miles away from my TAFM (Team Awesome Fuzz Machine).

Closest I could recommend would be a Bass BB Preamp, or perhaps a Rodenberg 808B (I’ve yet to try one but it’s definitely in that ballpark). Or if you really liked the higher gain tones from it, maybe it’s a fuzz you’re after!

Rather than start a new dirt thread: I'm after a new drive/distortion pedal for my home board. Has to do hair of dirt but if it can get wilder then great. Preferably below £100 (at least used price), and not a Darkglass B3K as I already have one on my main board and fancy trying a different flavour. I don't really care about form factor. Thanks.

1 hour ago, burno70 said:

Rather than start a new dirt thread: I'm after a new drive/distortion pedal for my home board. Has to do hair of dirt but if it can get wilder then great. Preferably below £100 (at least used price), and not a Darkglass B3K as I already have one on my main board and fancy trying a different flavour. I don't really care about form factor. Thanks.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I'll recommend the TC Mojomojo again - £40 new, about as different to a B3K as it's possible to get. Roars from down under like a big V-Twin when you dig in rather than blending in some grindy upper mids.

It's found a home on my board, beating several boutique pedals costing way more than that.

29 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I'll recommend the TC Mojomojo again - £40 new, about as different to a B3K as it's possible to get. Roars from down under like a big V-Twin when you dig in rather than blending in some grindy upper mids.

It's found a home on my board, beating several boutique pedals costing way more than that.

Well that's definitely a first: me stumbling upon a dirt pedal before you and recommending something that has ended up on your board! I'm just noting the date and time!! 😂 I guess I should quit all matters bass while I'm ahead and stick to pontificating about when rock music peaked...

42 minutes ago, burno70 said:

Thanks Cameron but I'm after people's experiences and recommendations.

My two-pennies' worth:

The interaction of pups and whether you play finger style or plec with your dirt pedal has, in my experience, a MASSIVE impact on what is going to work well in terms of dirt pedal.

So if you're using an Ibby SR (which I seem to recall you were?) with its big Nord singles and aggressive (IMO delicious!) growl but inherent higher end 'sparkle', then pairing that with something like the TC Mojomojo, which is a great 'low end', dirt pedal is going to work well.

If you have a more mid-focused P bass pups (e.g. as on my Yamaha BB1025) that seems to work well with dirt pedals that are more 'toppy / fizzy' in their response e.g. DG B3K, VMT or Two Notes le Bass.

In all cases using a plec will also change the dirt tone from muddier to brighter / dirtier and would pretty much be my universal preference with dirt.

I would probably say the other way around, which goes to show you probably shouldn't listen to anyone! Mojo for the darker more midrange focussed bass (e.g. a Precision), and B3K for the brighter/scooped bass (e.g. a Jazz).

I am using the Mojomojo with a Precision or Sandberg Basic (essentially a Stingray with the pup nudged up a couple of mm towards Precisionville), both strung with flats, going for something extremely touch sensitive, with bottomless lows, fat creamy low mids, and clarity without harshness up top. Sounds a lot like the drive I get from the Tonehammer but with more thump.

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I would probably say the other way around, which goes to show you probably shouldn't listen to anyone! Mojo for the darker more midrange focussed bass (e.g. a Precision), and B3K for the brighter/scooped bass (e.g. a Jazz).

I am using the Mojomojo with a Precision or Sandberg Basic (essentially a Stingray with the pup nudged up a couple of mm towards Precisionville), both strung with flats, going for something extremely touch sensitive, with bottomless lows, fat creamy low mids, and clarity without harshness up top. Sounds a lot like the drive I get from the Tonehammer but with more thump.

Haha - well there you go!

But we would both recommend using pics right?!

Haha! In which all we have in common then is I used to have a TC Mojomojo but still have a DG M900 and vice versa for you 😄 oh yes and we both think that the Yammy BB1025 /x is the business...