Why become a member? ×

Yes It's another Shuker........

MrT-Bass

Hey Guys 'n' Gals

I've just received some pictures of the front and back wood pieces I'm going to have on my new Shuker and so figured I would let you all have a look at the wood and spec. The colour will darken to a steely grey colour.

5 string bolt on bass
Swamp Ash Body
Buck-eye Burl top and back with matching headstock
24 fret neck
45mm Brass nut
5 piece laminate neck (Maple/Wenge)
F/Board Rio Rosewood
Medium fret wire
two way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
Abalone face dots
Side LEDs
Black Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Schaller 2000 bridge (3-way adjustable)
Delano SBC 5 HE/s pickups
Shuker Pre-amp

I'd be interested in what you guys think...especially on the choice of Delano SBCs and Jon's Shuker Pre-amp.
I have the fortune of trying a single cut bass with the SBCs and Jon's pre and found it to be superbly transparent. just what I was looking for.

Now all I need to do is try not to think about it for the next few months...Not so easy.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='326328' date='Nov 10 2008, 09:56 PM']When you sold be your BTB555 I thought I understood that you had decided that 4 strings was the way to go...???
By the way, thanks again for that bass, it's GRRRRREAT![/quote]
Mate, I'm really chuffed that you're getting on with it.

To a degree I regret not having a 5 but I just can't handle them (neck width) However, what I really should do is modify my Ibanez 4 to B-E-A-D, that then would cover all angles.

Pete

[quote name='MrT-Bass' post='326101' date='Nov 10 2008, 05:29 PM']Hey Guys 'n' Gals

I've just received some pictures of the front and back wood pieces I'm going to have on my new Shuker and so figured I would let you all have a look at the wood and spec. The colour will darken to a steely grey colour.

5 string bolt on bass
Swamp Ash Body
Buck-eye Burl top and back with matching headstock
24 fret neck
45mm Brass nut
5 piece laminate neck (Maple/Wenge)
F/Board Rio Rosewood
Medium fret wire
two way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
Abalone face dots
Side LEDs
Black Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Schaller 2000 bridge (3-way adjustable)
Delano SBC 5 HE/s pickups
Shuker Pre-amp

I'd be interested in what you guys think...especially on the choice of Delano SBCs and Jon's Shuker Pre-amp.
I have the fortune of trying a single cut bass with the SBCs and Jon's pre and found it to be superbly transparent. just what I was looking for.

Now all I need to do is try not to think about it for the next few months...Not so easy.[/quote]

Ah yes! I have played a couple of Jon's basses with the Delano & Shuker pre combo.. they sounded awesome! Welcome to the Shuker club. You spec looks great and that piece of buckeye is stunning! It is by far my favourite 'top'. My fist Shuker (gulp) had buckeye facings. - i miss it... :huh:(

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='326148' date='Nov 10 2008, 06:36 PM']Welcome to the club mate, nice looking spec, loving the buckeye....yes you do indeed have to be patient, but just wait for the end result,[/quote]

hell yar!

[quote name='presoulnation' post='327475' date='Nov 12 2008, 12:10 PM']Delano ftw :)[/quote]

and that would be a +1 to the Delanos!

Thanks for the feedback so far (and the welcome)...I'm very much looking forward to being part of the Shuker club.
The buck eye has been a favorite finish for a while and as the chance of a "buck-eye" bass turning up that fitted my spec is pretty unlikely, I figured a custom bass was the way to go.

I'm keen on a more natural sounding bass...Not too much colouring from the pickups or pre-amp :huh: and something that sound good in passive mode too.

Tinman, is it your 4 string buck-eye on the Shuker site? That was the one that made me ask about the Buck-eye. A beauty for sure :huh:

Dood, is Jon making you a 7 stringer? I remember seeing a thread on here about on a while ago.

On the waiting front, I spoke to Jon the other day and his advise was "forget about it for now", as things progress I'm sure he'll get in touch. I really must focus on something else... :)

As more pics arrive, I'll post them so you can see the progress.

Cheers,

T

[quote name='MrT-Bass' date='Nov 13 2008, 03:26 PM' post='328427']

Tinman, is it your 4 string buck-eye on the Shuker site? That was the one that made me ask about the Buck-eye. A beauty for sure :huh:
Cheers,
T
[/quot

Yes mate, that's mine. I got the idea for Buckeye from seeing Doods 6. It's a stunning facing wood. I got Jon to give me matching everything but I went for more of the yellow than I think you have. I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out, who knows, one day, in the not to distant (don't tell the wife......please :) ) I may just get myself another Buckeye beauty.

• 5 months later...

Well...after waiting patiently since October for the first signs of life in my Shuker 5, Jon has sent me the pictures below. I had managed, until now, to put it to the back of my mind but having seen these pics, my desire to get my calloused fingers on this beauty has been re-invigorated 1000 fold :)

Just to help you to see what I'm seeing, imagine a neck of purest Rio rosewood, 2 Delano pickups with a ramp, black hardware...goose-bumps just typing about it.
I'm pretty sure there's a way to go but it's going to take weeks to calm back down.

[attachment=24480:lacquered_Front.jpg]

[attachment=24479:Lacquered_back.jpg]

Hey Peted,

Thanks...The finish has exceeded my expectations. I'm so glad I took a second to think about the top wood choice. I was originally going for a quilted maple but had a change of heart and went for the darker side. It may well help with the overall sound of the bass too, which I'd like to be fairly mids and bass and not too toppy. The pickups are pretty transparent so should be faithful to the wood tone.

Edited by MrT-Bass

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

I received this beauty just before Christmas and thought you'd like to see a few pics. This is by far one of the best basses I have played. The sound in passive mode is warm and full. In active, it's the same clear sound with more control available if needed...which I don't really think it is!

Jon has done a great job and is helping me make a few mods to the ramp, etc...

Thanks guys, it's really is a lovely bass. I'm still getting used to the ramp and the action needs to be lowered a bit but I'm truely stoked :)

Eude, The preamp is a volume and passive tone stacked (the big knob, if you'll excuse the expression); the lowest of the smaler ones is the pickup blend and the the upper 3 are bass mid and treble going up. The 3 switches are LEDs, passive/active and single coil/humbucker.
I think jon has 3 preamps on offer and this one is the medium version. It really is crystal clear and represents the bass very well, no colouring of the sound at all.

Peted, I had a look to see if I could catch a glimpse of you bass while I was there but it wasn't out where it could be seen. I really looking forward to seeing the result though :rolleyes: And as you probably know, it's well worth the wait...

Edited by MrT-Bass