Why become a member? ×

Volume

beerdragon

We played a gig last night at a local pub where they have a problem with neigbours complaing about the noise. this is the second time we have played there since this issue arose so we where aware of it. we start of the set with a reasonable volume with some numbers that suited to that and the are not many punters in, but as the night wears on we tend to turn it up when the number geta little rockier and the place fills up a bit more. last night was a bit more embarressing as we where told twice to turn it down. which we did, the result being the drummer turning my amp down( i cant reach it due the drums being in the way) and me turning down the volume on my bass and startin a town called malice sound terrible. does anyone else's volume go up and down or do you stick to a set volume. obviously i'm talking small pubs or clubs with no sound guy available,

If audience numbers stay roughly the same, tend to keep the settings the same, just play harder or softer as the set / song demands. If numbers increasing, usually just jack up the vocals a bit.

For years, I used to like to play REALLY REALLY LOUD, then at one gig we got told to turn down, by a small but [i]very [/i]chunky landlady. Second set, we sounded so much tighter, and the audience liked it better. Weird, but good.

Edited by skankdelvar

I find that volume varies according to how many people are in a room.

If the dancefloor's quiet then volume stays low but as soon as more people appear then it seems to dampen down the volume meaning that I have to turn up a bit.

I'm sure someone will be able to give a more scientific explanation of this but I'm guessing most people will be at the get together today.

I don;t see much point in pushing up stage volume via my backline. I have a volume level condusive to playing with the drummer I'm working with. Guitar thinks the same.

If we need more we do it with the PA and/or monitors.

I don't change my amp settings much anyway - to be honest because I can't be bothered! I swing the gain a little depending which bass I'm using and that's it. Master stays on 5. I never move it. EQ's stay at 12 oclock.

In tiny venues I just use one cab instead of my usual two. - master stays on 5 and the volume loss from the 8ohm load does the job.

We for starters don't play where there's a sound limiter or the venue has a noise ASBO in place.
But we do play loud and very soft depending on what's required.
I set the ooopmh knob for the loudest I'm likely to need it and then do the volume control with my fingers.
I find the overall volume is totally dependant on how loud the drummer is playing. If he ramps it up so does everyone else, likewise if he takes it down we can all take it down too ...

Thats right oldgit, we have a loud drummer. he does not like holding back. ok sometimes he has to. but we play. say, a Keane song in the first set which a reasonable volume and in the second set we play a Billy idol song which has to have bit of oomph. but apparently not in these places.

Our onstage [or is that behind the pool table] volume is all dictated by the drum kit. The problem arises when the guits push it a bit as they do and it drowns out the bass n drums on stage, leaving us floundering to hear what's going on. Me ER20's help a lot by filtering a bunch of white noise the guits create though. And I'd be totally f***ing deaf if I hadn't worn them to Motorhead the other night. They were the loudest band I've seen since Quo in 1984.

[quote name='OldGit' post='325422' date='Nov 9 2008, 06:00 PM']We for starters don't play where there's a sound limiter or the venue has a noise ASBO in place.[/quote]

We generally play in clubs, CIU/Workingmens clubs etc. We have seen three of our regular venues put in noise limiters and they make it really hard work playing there. They seem very bass frequency sensitive, and our drummer has bought a flat kit, which is like a bass drum skin on a stand and similar toms.

I was told last week by one venue that these will be mandatory by 2010 under the good old HSE to protect the hearing of those working there.

I hope this it not true

[quote name='bumnote' post='326126' date='Nov 10 2008, 06:08 PM']We generally play in clubs, CIU/Workingmens clubs etc. We have seen three of our regular venues put in noise limiters and they make it really hard work playing there. They seem very bass frequency sensitive, and our drummer has bought a flat kit, which is like a bass drum skin on a stand and similar toms.

I was told last week by one venue that these will be mandatory by 2010 under the good old HSE to protect the hearing of those working there.

I hope this it not true[/quote]

Well if they can find away of powering off the screaming loud punters that will work.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='325978' date='Nov 10 2008, 03:16 PM']Me ER20's help a lot by filtering a bunch of white noise the guits create though. And I'd be totally f***ing deaf if I hadn't worn them to Motorhead the other night. They were the loudest band I've seen since Quo in 1984.[/quote]

+1 on Motorhead being very loud at Brighton Dome. The bass drum(s) compressed the ribcage. :)

Volume is an interesting one. To be honest as long as I can hear myself [i]clearly[/i] and the lead instrument (as most of my playing is based on improv and just following the leader whatever/wherever they may do/go) and/or vocals, I'm happy. I don't like things to be too loud or enjoy them being that loud unless I've got ear plugs; I have exceptionally sensitive hearing and I plan on keeping it that way.

As a group, if you're tight, and you exploit your volume level by your style of playing you can work with most any volume level. As an individual, if you're playing tastefully and adding to the overall sound of the group/piece, you can get away with being a lot louder than if you don't do this. I don't mean this as in you get artistic license for being louder (escaping getting told off for being loud), I mean that you may find the sound technician actually wants you louder than you would expect, at least relative to the rest of the mix.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='326747' date='Nov 11 2008, 01:51 PM']I have exceptionally sensitive hearing and I plan on keeping it that way.[/quote]
+1

I've had punters at most gigs coming up, thankful for the low volume. There may be a few people listening who enjoy the sensation of bleeding eardrums but i don't think it's the norm.