Why become a member? ×

Markbass Evo 1 amp..any user opinions yet?

Mudpup

I think i fancy a change of amps just for the hell of it and have been having a look at the Markbass Evo 1.

Has anyone had much experience of one? Any particular opinions?

I've had a few class D heads (GK and Genz Benz) and eventually moved them on preferring the sound of a 'proper' power section as i find they sound a bit slammier.

I currently run a GK 700RBii and an Ashdown ABM600 usually with a Stingray or Sandberg in a loud rock covers band.

But the Markbass has intrigued me....twin mixable channels with a few allegedly decent models, some effects, a tuner, headphone out/aux in. Loads of useful features in my book including Ampeg/VT Bass rocky clangy stuff. But will it have enough punch and rumble when its cranked up a bit?

A few days ago i shop tested an EBS Reidmar, a TC RH750 and a MarkBass Big Bang. I liked the MarkBass and TC the best but seem to remember a few guys saying the TC sounded a bit flat/unpunchy at volume (although it did sound good at a low level). And its always hard to tell unless you've got everything cooking at a gig.

Any thoughts?

I have one and its absolutely fantastic.

Easy to use and the sounds are brilliant.

Lightweight, but slightly larger than youd imagine (more like a hi fi separate) but an easy one hand lift.

Hands down the best amp ive ever head and ive no need to get gas for anything else as i can try a different amp every time the gas sets in.

Ive paired it with a barefaced super compact g3 and the volume keeps up with a loud band easily at less then 50%.

Takes a lot of playing with the fully understand how to get the best out of it, but for the money its superb. And the fx are great too!

Cheers la bam!

The only thing that slightly concerns me is that its class D and all the class D amps I've had previously have lacked a bit of heft compared to my GK RB700 and Ashdown ABM600 amps. I've had a Genz Shuttle 9.2 and a GK MB Fusion and they both didn't quite have the shake i get from my current gear.

It arrives on Tuesday and i'll probably gig it on Friday and Saturday so i'll have a better idea in a weeks time :-)

This is where it gets a bit weird. I know what you mean when you say class d lacks heft etc. When i tried the amp in the shop with a mark bass cab it didnt have it, then when coupled with a barefaced super compact it has it in abundance. Ie its not always the amp that lacks the heft.

Youll love the amp though! Be sure to download the software too.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1508677181' post='3393681']
This is where it gets a bit weird. I know what you mean when you say class d lacks heft etc. When i tried the amp in the shop with a mark bass cab it didnt have it, then when coupled with a barefaced super compact it has it in abundance. Ie its not always the amp that lacks the heft.
[/quote]

+1 for that! My MarkBass LM3, which is currently housed in a neat combo, was definitely sounding a "level up" when played through a Tecamp 212. To be fair you're talking about a cab that costs nearly three times the price of the 1x12 on the MarkBass combo. But I completely agree that choice of quality cab can have a really positive impact on overall sound.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, walbassist said:

Can you scroll through the six presets on each channel by pressing the relevant channel button on the footswitch, or do you have to select them at the amp? 

Sorry, i don't know - i didn't buy the footswitch.

The amp lasted 1 gig and i sent it back - amongst other things i couldn't actually see the black knobs onstage, it kept cutting out at volume and it lacked any of the 'heft' i was used to from my regular amps. It was fun at home but in reality for live use it was too fiddly. I used my Gallien and Stingray on the next gig and it was like coming home.......

20 hours ago, walbassist said:

Can you scroll through the six presets on each channel by pressing the relevant channel button on the footswitch, or do you have to select them at the amp? 

At the amp.  The EVO 1's amp selector pot is an old school 6 position multi-select rotary switch, so no, the footswitch does not control amp models, it simply switches between channels, or if you press the active channel button it turns on both so that you can mix the tones of two different amp models (it also has separate DI's for each channel, or can be set to send a pre-mixed signal).

The "point" of the EVO 1 is to provide a less complex, more "analogue" style solution (with good old knobs!) to amp modelling while still offering some great great amp models.  If you want the ability to access more amp models (and a whole lot more besides!) with your feet, then the Multiamp is probably a better call.

15 hours ago, Mudpup said:

The amp lasted 1 gig and i sent it back....     ....it lacked any of the 'heft' i was used to from my regular amps.

OK, so its fair to say the EVO 1 does need a bit of getting used to at first (particularly the gain structure), but no more than any new bit of kit.  Maybe it needed a bit more time?  I have gigged the EVO 1, and it certainly doesn't lack heft into my TRV121H and 151P cabs.  Its a monster!

Gain structure - Each channel has both input gain and output level, the mix knob sets the blend between channels, and there is a master output level.  In addition, the tone settings can have a huge effect on boosting level on some of the amp models, and the channel effect can further influence boost levels too, so there is lots going on there (and thats before you toggle the actual boost setting)!

It really does need the footswitch to access the full features of the amp.  The advantage of the ability to blend the channels is that it gives the ability to effectively set four different stages of output gain (in fact 5 if you use a compressor).  With the amp appropriately setup it allows you to increase/decrease gain levels toggle as follows:-

1. Channel 1
2. Channel 2
3. Channel 1 & 2
4. Boost  (can be set to add up to 10db)

16 hours ago, Mudpup said:

...it kept cutting out at volume  ...I used my Gallien and Stingray on the next gig and it was like coming home.......

Not an opinion, but something I've heard...   Stingrays are known to have a very hot output, and I've read elsewhere they have been known to cause issues with some amps (not just Markbass) and effects pedals, though I've never owned a MM bass so cannot test with an EVO 1.  I'm told this can be simply resolved by rolling off the output of the bass a bit.

I agree - it takes getting used to, and its a few more buttons than normal to do so, but its worth it.

Its important to judge each amp sim separately. What is a great clean gain level on one amp (say 2oclock), will be a distorted drive sound on another. I find its best to have the main volume high to start with, then set the 'gain' to a drive/clean sound that you like, then adjust the 'level' from there to boost that gain sounds level. (ie 'gain' for tone and 'level' for volume). Obviously then eq to taste.

Re the cutting out at volume with my Stingray - it never happened with my GK MBFusion or Genz Shuttle class D amps and its never happened with my current non class D amps either using the same bass. Its a regular gig we do and has no power supply issues either.

The bass control wasn't cranked (maybe about 60/75%).

And tbh it wasn't even at a huge volume - it was just a medium sized pub gig.

Maybe i had a duff amp - one of the detent positions didn't have the soft click feel about it on the amp 1 knob either. 

You simply couldn't feel the bass in your back - it just sounded flat compared with my other amps.