Why become a member? ×

Budget ear buds for a drummer

itsmedunc

Any ideas about budget ear buds for a drummer? He wont wear phones. I'm going to end up paying so the cheaper the better! I should imagine that they will mainly be for vocals. We're using a digital desk and he will be hard wired.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1504918701' post='3368357']...
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

My only suggestion would be to look at 'sports' ones, that clip around the ear and stay in place, like these...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-AS210-Sports-Splashproof-Headphones-Black/dp/B01LDKH2PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504919643&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+earphones+sport"]Sony MDR-AS210 Sports In-Ear Splashproof Headphones ...[/url]

Drumming can be quite physical (depending on character and repertoire...), so he'd want 'em to stay in place. I can't think of anything special, otherwise. He sounds like a bit of a cheapskate, really, unless he's simply skint, of course.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504919858' post='3368362']

My only suggestion would be to look at 'sports' ones, that clip around the ear and stay in place, like these...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-AS210-Sports-Splashproof-Headphones-Black/dp/B01LDKH2PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504919643&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+earphones+sport"]Sony MDR-AS210 Sports In-Ear Splashproof Headphones ...[/url]

Drumming can be quite physical (depending on character and repertoire...), so he'd want 'em to stay in place. I can't think of anything special, otherwise. He sounds like a bit of a cheapskate, really, unless he's simply skint, of course.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out. He's not skint and not a cheapskate really. It's sort of that he's totally unaware of the benefits and needs a push. I'm sure that if he could hear the difference, he would splash out. Hence, budget stuff. He hasn't got a clue about inputs and outputs and wouldn't dare touch a fader!

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1504942243' post='3368407']
In what situation does a drummer need to hear vocals? Is he on backing vox duty?
[/quote]

I'm a drummer...
1 - On odd occasions, I think it helps the show if I know just where we are in the song, or repertoire. The singers vocals help with that, sometimes.
2 - Our singer is rather good. I [i]like [/i]to hear him sing
3 - Someone has to listen for the cock-ups and fluffs, to deflate his ego afterwards
4 - I need to be able to hear when someone's shouting 'shut the f... up..!' at me.
5 - It makes me feel as if I'm part of the group (I'm easily fooled...).
6 - Folks think I'm good because I'm wearing 'phones; little do they know...

Enough..? ;)

Edited by Dad3353

In what situation does a drummer need to hear vocals? Is he on backing vox duty?
[/quote]

If the sweet young singer, is warbling 'Edelweiss' at a wedding (the requested opening dance song), and the dep Drummer starts belting out 'Gimme Some Lovin'..'
The mum of the bride might well think, "s**t, the Drummer can't hear the singer...." :D

Edited by lowdown

[/quote]

Our drummer wants the singers vox and his rhythm guitar in her mix as well as her own vocals.

[/quote]

We won't be carrying floor monitors anymore and needs something to hear what the singers doing. The singers been known to not follow a set list and omit a verse or two!