Why become a member? ×

Back projections what does anyone do?

Paul S

I have been reading a bit about the nuts and bolts of back projections as one of my bands is (hopefully) going to be moving out of pubs into larger venues and would like to incorporate back projections as part of the show. We are looking at very simple set up - just a single back projected image. One of the guys has sorted out the images which can be transmitted via powerpoint on his lap-top to a projector. From what I have read it seems back projection is best, shortening the throw distance by using a mirror. Lots of online stuff for making back projection screens (looks like Spandex works just fine)

But I'd love to hear some hands on practical stuff! Can it be done on the cheap, why things work or don't work in the real world etc.

Muchas gracias!

Played last year with a projector.

https://youtu.be/qRkSX_WiQbs

The venue had a projector but no screen. We hooked up a mac with some footage and projected onto a white sheet. I also project film at home from an old projector onto a white wall using a media hard drive. The latter is really easy to set up, inexpensive and no computer involved.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1504134362' post='3362969']
Our singer has had the idea of putting the logo jpeg on a memory stick , with a lot of the modern TVs that seem to be stuck on the wall behind most stages , he thought it might plug and play , yet to try it mind :)
[/quote]

We were thinking of doing this too. Only on some kind of looping MPEG.

Our band has an hour long video made of chopped up bits of live footage that's been superimposed, manipulated and twisted by our guitarist into a psychedelic lightshow kinda thing - slow moving, shifting, changing images, bright colours. Quite a few venues do have their own projector, but you have to factor in the time and faff of setting it up in addition to everything else, so half the time it's stayed unused - this is without bothering with a screen or a sheet or anything like that, we just project it onto ourselves and the wall behind us. There's been a great response when we have had it up though - we've had plenty of feedback saying that it really creates a vibe, makes us stand out.

I don't think you can count on what you're projecting to be legible unless you're prepared to make the effort to go down the back projection route (which does seem like a lot of work for one image!), so as long as you keep that in mind and go for something that is more atmospheric then it can really work well - personally I'd go for something a bit more dynamic than a logo. Helps turn your live show into a bit more of a spectacle, especially if, like us, you're not the jump around, trash your gear kind of band.

Edited by Spaced

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1504194762' post='3363325']
That's a cue for a dad mpeg if ever I saw one?....what ya got Douglas?
[/quote]

You're right, y'know...

Cheating really, as it's a Gif, but best I can do at short notice... :blush: