Why become a member? ×

Is using a dep a good idea?

PaulWarning

There have been very few times when I've had to pull out from a gig (can count them on one hand) and dep the gig out.

I've been fortunate that in most of those situations, the dep has been of a good enough quality (or better) to cover me. There's only been one time that the dep wasn't good enough, but that was a poor choice by the bandleader. Guy came in for one rehearsal, and even then his prep hadn't been good and the gig (which was a NYE party) didn't turn out so well.

Haven't depped on a gig for years now, but consider my prep in those situations to have been as good as it could've and in some cases, has led to being asked to join a band.

The only thing I would say is that it's good to have as big of a circle of decent quality musicians in your network if you need to dep a gig out - hardest ones to get hold of are good keys players. Rarer than hen's teeth, and usually busy with multiple projects / solo gigs / pit work.

Edited by louisthebass

I've been depping with a band on and off since the late 90's. They, and occasionally me, have been touring their original album for the last two years. I still run through the songs on the album before every gig to get up to speed. I know these songs backwards, but [i]nothing[/i] is going to screw up on my watch.

I've just had to dep out the dep for a couple of weeks. The guy they are using to replace me is very good. That's a worry!!!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1503526771' post='3359003']

To be fair, most of the old time pros I've met would have an attitude closer to the drummer in question
[/quote]

It reminds me of a story about the legend that was Maurice Murphy, principle trumpet of the LSO for decades. The dep on that occasion was the conductor, one Leonard Bernstein. The maestro asked Maurice if the extract they were rehearsing was muted or unmuted. Maurice replied 'it's pencilled in as muted.' Bernstein went into diva mode and went, 'Well hot shot, what are going to play?' To which Maurice answered, 'You tell me, you wrote it.'

Professional?

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1503743999' post='3360643']

It reminds me of a story about the legend that was Maurice Murphy, principle trumpet of the LSO for decades. The dep on that occasion was the conductor, one Leonard Bernstein. The maestro asked Maurice if the extract they were rehearsing was muted or unmuted. Maurice replied 'it's pencilled in as muted.' Bernstein went into diva mode and went, 'Well hot shot, what are going to play?' To which Maurice answered, 'You tell me, you wrote it.'

Professional?
[/quote]

A bit similar to the Guitarist ( I will leave the name blank) and Marvin Hamlisch on a session.
Marvin. "Mr Guitarist, what is that s**t you are playing?"
Guitarist after intently looking at the part, "Your s**t, Marvin".
:)

Are they all true, these stories? Who knows, but I suppose they must start somewhere and are almost certainly exaggerated. One thing though, they are good for a laugh and really not worth getting all professional over for the individual on the receiving end. The muso 'aving a go back in these tales, is usually in a position of being respected and good enough to get away with it.

Most of the tales are years old and are amusing folk law in musician circles, and really, that's how they should be viewed. (my opinion of course). :)

Edited by lowdown

Just heard a clip of EBS_freaks band live with at least two of the five members depped afaik, better than any band I've been in by a mile!

A sh*t hot band with sh*t hot deps is still better than an average band with it's full compliment of average practiced players, the reality is most of us are in average bands, that's actually what makes them the average :D

:blush: oo-er blush.

I think Pete is referring to this... yes, dep drummer, dep female vocalist. And this was the first time we had played this (its not in our set) - decided just before we went on stage we would give it a go, based on the fact the male singer said he knew the rap. I didn't realise how much of a fun tune this is to play... a little embellishment here and there gives the chance to give the fingers a little work out!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5ZJdSZJCY[/media] Edited by EBS_freak