Why become a member? ×

Do you gig with your pre CBS?

I regularly gig my '71 Precision (although not Pre-CBS, still a £3000 bass by dealers prices).
I have a friend who has a LOT of vintage guitars, from 50's Teles & Strats, to 50's Gibsons, some old Gretches etc. He gigs them all regularly, isn't afraid to take them out.

Si

I gig my double bass all the time without even considering that it's worth more than all but the most rare of early 60s basses. It's also a lot more fragile. Fender basses are pretty solid things.

They're called instruments for a reason, they're meant to be used. And you can always call the insurance company if something does happen. Just be sensible and enjoy it, that's my vibe!

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1502217549' post='3350077']
The reason these instruments are so valued is that they sound the bollox. Play 'em but do it respectfully. Don't take your granny crowd-surfing but if she still sings like Ella let her sing!
[/quote]

My 62 jazz was the worst sounding bass iv ever had, talk about "Dead" most of the neck was one large dead spot.
so... no point keeping something you cant use, so ended up swaping it for a JD mark king when Fusion music was on argile st in birkenhead.
so yea i can say mine did sound Bollox, :lol:

I did a couple of long tours in the States with a 63 Precision. It was getting to be quite a delicate thing and had a trip to a luthier in Nashville mid way through to have various new cracks sealed up before it disintegrated completely. I ended up doing most of the tour on a loaner AVRI 62 which never sounded as good. Eventually ended up selling on and more recently revisited the Precision with a new American Professional this year. Much more reliable.