Why become a member? ×

Out of the blue

dmccombe7

Guitarist from our Blues based Rock band comes back from holiday and announces to me that he's forming a function band and would i be interested.
He wants to keep the current band together as well but now wants to make a few quid at doing the function thing. (he has a good background in Function style bands)

Same drummer and keys player but 2 new singers male and female with a history in function bands too.

Current singer wouldn't manage the function band range of songs and our 2nd guitarist is mainly interested in Blues.

So i've now gone from saying i wouldn't or couldn't play in 2 bands at same time to having 2 bands on the go.
Nothing beats a challenge. :lol:

Just goes to show there are always new openings and challenges to keep up with. Even at my ripe old age of 57.

Dave

Thanks guys
Retired last year so a lot more time on my hands so should be easy.
Still to get details of the set list but i'm actually quite excited about it.

Don't know how you can cope with 7 bands at one time tho FinnDave. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500410041' post='3337604']
Thanks guys
Retired last year so a lot more time on my hands so should be easy.
Still to get details of the set list but i'm actually quite excited about it.

Don't know how you can cope with 7 bands at one time tho FinnDave. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

They don't all play on the same day. Sometimes, not even in the same year!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500400462' post='3337499']
Guitarist from our Blues based Rock band comes back from holiday and announces to me that he's forming a function band and would i be interested.
He wants to keep the current band together as well but now wants to make a few quid at doing the function thing. (he has a good background in Function style bands)

Same drummer and keys player but 2 new singers male and female with a history in function bands too.

Current singer wouldn't manage the function band range of songs and our 2nd guitarist is mainly interested in Blues.

So i've now gone from saying i wouldn't or couldn't play in 2 bands at same time to having 2 bands on the go.
Nothing beats a challenge. :lol:

Just goes to show there are always new openings and challenges to keep up with. Even at my ripe old age of 57.

Dave
[/quote]

Being in two bands at the same time is not the worst thing to grumble about. Better than being idle.

Good luck with the venture. It'll be an education.

Not a grumble but more just a post to show how sometimes things just come along as a complete surprise and totally unexpected.

I've never played in a function band so will be a challenge based on what many BC'ers say about their bands.
Probably a fair bit of change of attitude and approach to the performance.

Will def keep you all posted tho.

For anyone that has the opportunity i'd say go for it but be aware that to succeed in any venture you do need to put in the additional time and effort.
The timing for me is good tho as current band set list is complete and just needs a bit of polishing off so no need to learn a lot of new songs for them. That leaves my time free to learn the function band set list.

Not sure i would tackle 2 bands from scratch tho but then again it might depend on song selection.

Good luck with it PaulGibsonBass and Bazztard. The age thing should never be a barrier to fun. I still think i'm 20 but my body looks a bit older :lol:

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well i gave it a go learning quite a few of the set list but found i wasn't really happy playing "pop" songs so decided to take "Blue's" advice and step out and let someone else have a go that wanted to play that kind of music to make some money.
The band are mates and there was no animosity in fact they thanked me for being up front and honest about it and appreciated the fact i didn't wait until they had started gigging and decided to leave.

I'm still in another covers band with 3 off them and i think the female vocalist is now about to join the covers band so that should be good as she has an incredible voice.

All's well that ends well i guess.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7