Why become a member? ×

Columbus J Bass MIJ

FHB

So, on holiday in a not so sunny Sidmouth right now, just found this beauty. Sounds alright acoustic, but I get an unholy hiss that's loud, with no audio whatsoever. I've read up a little, don't know it its made of plywood or tonewood, but it was £30, just for the lovely road-worn finish it was worth it!

Pretty sure the ground wire on the bridge is buggered, either that, or the pickups are broken! They are rusted, after all!

I'd appreciate it if anyone here knows much more on these basses, it's nice to play though I'll have to set her up.

Very common & pretty decent mid-70s J copy, probably made by Chushin Gakki. Bodies can either be ply or veneered butcher-block, as many of the MIJ copies were.

Electronics might just need a good clean & any dry joints re-soldering, but tbh pickups were never great on these so if it plays nicely it might be worth dropping a halfway decent set in if the originals are dud. They should fit OK despite the round-end originals.

£30 is a little bit of a steal - these can go for £150+ on Ebay.

My first bass was one of those; it did good service til I bought a Ric.

£30 sounds a good deal; I would've paid that on the spot. I don't know what it's worth in the current market (really crap ones seem to be worth money just now, but I'm not sure about half-decent ones!).

As for the silence it could be duff wiring, failed pots or failed pickups; finding out and fixing it is part of the fun with these old basses.

I had one of these back in the 80s. Paid £25 for it back then, so 30 now is a steal. It was my second bass after my Höfner -- it was a good instrument, clear and bright sounding after the woofy Höf. The body of mine was ply.
After I bought my Wal (my third bass) I lent the Columbus to a supposed friend who proceeded to f*** off without trace, taking the bass with him. I hope the strings snapped and took the thieving bastid's fingertips off.

[quote name='FHB' timestamp='1500122235' post='3335744']
Corr, nice surprise! Cheers for the info guys, it's definitely bashed up and needs lots of work but I'll try work on it. Haha, sounds decent enough, here are some pics! [url="http://imgur.com/a/jaa3y"]http://imgur.com/a/jaa3y[/url]
[/quote]
Looks good - straight honest wear & tear.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1500121025' post='3335738']
Strung out guitars in Glasgow have one of these for £229!!

It looks in good nick and has had a set up but it`s a bit pricey? Still it "has a cool relic look."
[/quote]
Bloomin 'eck - that is creative pricing!

[quote name='FHB' timestamp='1500139355' post='3335886']
Only thing is the G string is a new roundwound it seems, and the others are all original flatwounds. Sucks, anyone selling a forty year old flatwound g string? ;)
[/quote]
Back in the day, I had Rotosound roundwounds on mine.

Columbus J was bass I taught myself to play on, coincidentally it was £30 too but that was back in the mid 80's. Previous owner had added a pair of white dimarzio P pickups to it which was just as well as the bridge J picup had died.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Japanese Jazzer too recently, although mine is a Maya. Took some work to get it back up to scratch, most of which is on this thread which I hope is somehow helpful.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300755-fixing-up-a-maya-jazz/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300755-fixing-up-a-maya-jazz/[/url]

The ground wire on the bridge wasn't attached and I temporarily sorted it (honestly, I'll probably sort it properly never) with a strip of aluminium tape. Sounds pretty good now and has done a few gigs, although it's been relegated to backup status after I got an MIJ Fender P.

Congrats on the bargain!

Sad news... The bass has basically been destroyed by my hands! (Though - it was in pretty bad condition on looking closely.)

40 year old screws are impossible to move with messed up threads, and well - it did not go well! I've pretty much given up on the project, it's been bashed up from me trying to remove the screws sadly - and the neck's fretboard is delaminating. If you want to take it, PM me! It's a lot of work and I thought I'd have the passion and patience to to it but I don't, haha. It's more bashed up now, thanks to my "handywork" but hey, could be a fun project for someone with a lil more time, patience and expertise than me.